Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsHeart Diseases · 1 decade ago

blood pressure reading..should i be concerned?

i had a free health check done and my cholestral was great at 1.43 but my bp was 124/90

now i know the upper value ...the systolic is fine...but the lower figure the diastolic seems a little high.

i looked on the net and it says the anything over 80 is considered a warning of high blood pressure and 90 or over is stage 1 high blood pressure.

i am a little scared now!! the pharmacy that did it didn't seem concerned...but then she was only a counter assistant and i don't know how much training they have had.

should i be scared..should i see the doctor?

I had the bp done in a completely stress free environment. kids are at school and i was having a lovely shopping trip. ifs its high normally i must be verging on heart attack when i get stressed when the kids come home??

should i be scared??

i'm 36 and been taking st johns wort also for 2 weeks because i've been very hormonal/moody and irratable for a few months

I have contacted my gp's office who have been able to give me my last bp readings over the last few months and all of them have been 120/70-79

so i am relieved! the gp's were all manual and done on different machines with different practitioners over the last 6 months.

the one today was a digital one...i had just walked up the road and had a strong coffee too ...so perhaps its a one off??

• july
    Favorite Answer

One single diastolic (lower number) reading of 90 shouldn't be cause for worry.

Blood pressure can vary several points (even up to 10-20 points) depending on factors as simple as walking a short distance to get to the health check area, eating or drinking shortly before the test, or even talking to the person doing the health check. A cuff that is too small, too large, applied too loosely or tightly, or applied incorrectly (i.e., not situated over the correct artery) can also cause an incorrect reading. If this was an automatic blood pressure machine (i.e., a digital one), it also may not be calibrated correctly.

If you're otherwise healthy and aren't taking medications, you shouldn't be scared about a single borderline hypertension BP reading. My own BP can vary from 90/60 to 130/90 (I'm a healthcare teaching assistant, and students can practice on me) in a matter of minutes.

If you're having a free health check and your BP seems a little high, ask for a recheck after a few minutes, possibly even on a different machine.

If your diastolic reading remains 90 or higher on several occasions (i.e., several readings over a period of two weeks), you may want to see your physician. If you're significantly overweight and hypertension runs in your family, you may also want to see your physician for a more complete workup.

Source(s): Healthcare teaching assistant.

1

Source(s): Hypertension Treatment http://sparkindl.info/ControlYourBloodPressure

Following table gives details about blood pressure reading and how to understand each stage of blood pressure. The table gives readings for four blood pressure categories and what they mean for you.

Blood Pressure Chart

Systolic

Pressure Diastolic

Pressure Current

Condition What to do Read

More

Below 120 Below 80 Normal Blood Pressure Adopt a healthy lifestyle »» more

120 - 139 80 - 89 Prehypertension Adopt a healthy lifestyle »» more

140 - 159 90 - 99 Stage 1 hypertension Adopt a healthy lifestyle

Medication Required »» more

Above 160 Above 100 Stage 2 hypertension Adopt a healthy lifestyle

Medication Required

http://www.bloodpressurereading.net/index.html

Source(s): GOD BLESS

139/89 is upper limit of normal blood pressure n i think u need not worry for that.

ok,your bp reading indicate prehypertensive state so i dont think u must worry that much,

latest guidlines stress that u should have low salt diet and exercise without any other treatment unless you have any other medical illness like (diabetes, family history of heart disease,,etc)that your doctor consider to give you drugs.,

actually i dont know your age which is imp,but i advice u to have readings for bp 3 times a day for a week and show them to ur doctor to decide.

thanx

Source(s): 4th year medical student

The higher your blood pressure the higher your risk of having a heart attack.