Which kills you more quickly: A stab to the stomach or the liver?

I was thinking about this recently, as I am apt to kill/injure my characters often in my own writing. With a somewhat limited amount of medical attention, what would kill more quickly; a stab to the left side (stomach) or the right side (liver)?

On one hand, you have the liver, which is extremely vascular and you could have a risk of dying of blood loss. On the other hand, you have the stomach, while being less vascular, its acidic contents could be extremely painful and deadly to other organs if they leaked out.

So either could be potentially deadly, but which of the two are you more likely to survive within a 12 to 24 hour period? And are both so completely crippling that even if either organ got barely nicked that you'd be unable to run around for an hour or two? (I know that adrenaline can block out pain for a while to allow you run and extricate yourself from dangerous situations, but I just don't know to what extent it'd actually work.)

But yeah; I was wondering if anyone could answer some of these questions that I have in regards to trauma and pathology of the stomach or liver?

• Mike
    Best Answer

A good rule of thumb here is -- Hollow organs spill, solid organs bleed.

In this case -- the liver would kill you faster.

The liver is very vascular, and prone to bleeding with injury. It can and will bleed enough to kill you, very quickly. Its not however, uncommon for patient with a small liver laceration or injury to continue walking and functioning for a few hours before collapsing.

The stomach will likely spill it's contents, causing a great deal of pain, fairly quickly. Some people may be able to "work through the pain," but the vast majority wouldn't (assuming a sizable injury). A minor injury would be noticed... but the patient could survive upwards of 24 hours.

il try it and let you know