What is connected to the air intake hose?

I see a few small hoses but there is a wire that is mounted by a metal piece on top of the hose. I'm replacing my hose Saturday but I don't know how to take off this metal bracket. I can reuse it right?

2001 Mazda Protege

No this wire isn't the MAF. It looks like any other wire with a plug. Just like a headlight wire. It's towards the end of the hose by the throttle body. The metal bracket it's attached to fits into a cut in the rubber. The rubber piece it's in it sticking outward. I think it's just there because its there and has nothing to do with the hose it's self.

The wire plug sits on top of a plastic piece that connects two small rubber hoses.

Here is a picture of the wire. You can see that it sits on a rubber pedestal that is attached to the air intake hose. You can see what direction the wire travels to too.

Favorite Answer

The other tubing is most likley vacuum lines for various apllications (cruse controll fuel pressure regulator ect) now, because of the year of the car i would say that it dose not have a mass air flow sensor its most likely a map (manifold absolute pressure sensor) dont go prying stuff apart, thats just bad advise. i would take it to a shop or let someone who knows what there doing fix it for you.

EDIT: @ ? Lol yeah i said it backwards, i ment that it has a MAF not a MAP and i was using other vacuum lines for a point of refrence, not nessicarly exactly what they do, if i wanted to i could use Alldata or Mitchells on demand to tell you exactly what the lines are for. I wasnt "tooting" my own horn btw, its been a long week and its kinda hard to think straight right now.

Source(s): My ASE certification

James W... you have an ASE and you don't know that a cruise control needs more vacuum than an intake tube..lol And fuel pressure regs vacuum are run off the intake manifold like the cruise.

2001 import... yep, its got a Mass Air Flow Sensor! Map was an 80s thing.

Why do people toot their own horns and then give bad info! Not trying to be a dick but really. The only good info you had there was bringing the car to a mechanic.

the small hoses are breather hoses...are you putting in modified intake? the wire i would have to say is the master air flow sensor (MAF) the metal bracket would be the clamp. usually a flat head screw driver would take it off. some require pliers . and yes you would be able to use it.

Its a throttle body.. you can take the clamp off with usually a flathead screw driver.. just remember not to start the car with it off.

Source(s): Im an auto mechanic

don't screw up your car let a mechanic do it or buy a manual