Why does WWE give Chris Jericho such a huge push?

Typically, WWE doesn't push stars as a world champion unless they are huge, muscular, and have a certain look about them, many of the things Jericho doesn't have, so what is it that made Jericho stand out where others his size has failed.

Also, keep in mind, that when Jericho first became a world champion in WWE, there was no Money in the Bank, to elevate smaller stars to the next level, like Edge, Jeff Hardy, and CM Punk, and Jericho was beating stars like Rock & Austin in the same night to win world titles. Plus WWE has pushed Jericho strongly since his debut, what made the WWE decide to do this?

BQ: Is Jericho the one exception to the rule, when it comes to what a WWE world champion should look like, considering he is a six time champion without the aide of MITB, and isn't the typical muscle bound, all for show, WWE performer?

BQ2: Is it possible WWE just pushed Jericho so strongly to stick it to WCW?

24 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Chris Jericho got a strong push?

WWE hasn't been all filled with huge, muscular wrestlers throughout its history. What about wrestlers like Bret Hart, Chris Benoit, Shawn Michaels, Edge, CM Punk, RVD, Eddie Guerrero, and others? These wrestlers are all small as Chris Jericho, but they have all held World titles inside the WWE. Some might not have had the success Chris Jericho has had as a 6 time World Champion, but all these wrestlers I named have been to the top of the WWE before. Chris Jericho doesn't particularly stand out because there have been tons of wrestlers who have succeeded at Chris Jericho's size. Chris Jericho has mic skills and charisma, but he's not the only wrestler to have succeeded in the WWE with charisma and mic skills for his size.

Also, Chris Jericho has mostly been between 220-240 pounds in the WWE. I would say that its natural he's competing with guys around 240-250 pound guys like Triple H, Stone Cold, John Cena, and others.

I don't see what you mean about a huge push for Chris Jericho. The reason Chris Jericho defeated The Rock and Stone Cold was for one reason only. Triple H was returning and would defeat Chris Jericho at Wrestlemania. Chris Jericho only won the title to lose to Triple H at Wrestlemania. They wanted a program with him and Stephanie McMahon against Triple H, so they made him World Champion so he could eventually lose to Triple H. If we look at his other title reigns, they're also similar. He won the World Heavyweight title in 2008 to have a Ladder match with Shawn Michaels to continue their feud and lost to Batista. He won the title back only to lose to John Cena. Don't you see a pattern? Jericho has NEVER won the World title to be a top star. He always won the World title to lose it to another star shortly.

If Jericho was pushed strongly, he would have been a consistent main eventer in the WWE. Has Jericho consistently been in the main event? In the 90s, Triple H, Stone Cold, and The Rock were mostly dominating the main event picture and Jericho occasionally main evented. Jericho has been off and on the main event scene for years now. Has he consistently stayed like the other main eventers such as Triple H, John Cena, Batista, Edge, Randy Orton, The Undertaker, and others? No he hasn't. He's been in the mid card feuding with mid carders as well. If he was strongly pushed, he would be right up there with the rest of WWE's main eventers consistently main eventing. Jericho doesn't seem to be in the same list as the other main eventers.

I certainly don't think WWE has given a strong push to Chris Jericho.

BQ: Chris Jericho is NOT the one exception to the rule. Bret Hart was the face of WWF in the early to mid 90s and he was just as small as Jericho. Shawn Michaels is the first ever grand slam champion in the WWE and he's smaller than Jericho. Also, Edge has won 7 of his titles without MITB, which is still a large number of titles. There's no way that Jericho is the one exception.

BQ2: I already stated that Jericho was never pushed as strongly as WWF's main guys. When WWF signed WCW wrestlers after they bought out WCW, most of the WCW wrestlers were kept under the main WWF wrestlers. Jericho was never the biggest star in any point. Even when he was the Undisputed champion, Stone Cold, The Rock, and Triple H were bigger stars. It's logical to turn a star from a rival promotion into a top star to encourage more wrestlers to join, but WWE has never done that. They always had stars they built as the top stars of the company.

EDIT: Don't mind the TD. Makes me laugh to see that someone has no life to TD me repeatedly, but TU everyone else's answers. Gotta love the hate.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

It's true that typically it's the big muscular wrestlers that they push to have as champion but he is still in good shape. Shawn Michaels who isn't massive is a multiple champion, Jeff Hardy is also not huge, and not to forget Rey Mysterio who is one of the smallest on the roster.

He's been pushed strongly as he is a good wrestler with good mic skills and charisma. He is easily able to get over with the fans, either as a face of a heel.

He has had times of not being strongly pushed however. After losing the undisputed title, he went about 6 and a half years (I acknowledge he did leave WWE for a bit in this time) until his next world title.

BQ: HBK, Mysterio, Jeff Hardy, CM Punk. There are others but it's true most world champions are big and muscular like HHH, Batista, John Cena etc.

BQ2: I highly doubt it, he's just a good wrestler who has deserves all his accomplishments.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

He has loads of charisma, is one of the best on the mic, and is a phenomenal wrestler. He is very popular with both the liva audience and the IWC, Jericho got over with the crowd that’s why he got pushed.

BQ- No, Shawn Michaels, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, RVD, Jeff Hardy and Rey Mysterio were/are all exceptions as well to this “rule.” Also John Morrison is getting pushed and he isn’t a big man.

• 1 decade ago

Jericho deserves it! But they are only doing it so they can set-up Edge vs Jericho at WM XXVI, sp e probably wont be world champion for a while after WM XXVI.

BQ: It's not a f*ckin rule! Rey won the title and hes 5'6 why cant Jericho????

BQ2: NOOOOOOOOO they haven't pushed him so strongly, hes gonna be world champion for a month and he was just in a tag team with The Big Show how the hell is that a strong push? Also WWE has really only been giving him single titles to set up for fueds, like when he beat Rey for the ic title and lost it in like 4 weeks

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You can't deny Jericho can pull off being a Heel or a Face well. And he is a good wrestler as well. Them pushing Cena, Batista, And Hornswoggle would be a better question.

• 1 decade ago

Because Chris Jericho is a God.

BQ: Rey Mysterio won the World Title. That was mainly because of Guerrero's death, though. However, there have been plenty others who weren't huge that have won the title. Jeff Hardy, for instance. He never won MitB, either.

BQ2: Doubt it.

• Lilith
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

I think personally that they give him a huge push because Jericho is a great heel. Yeah, he's been champion and all that, but he has good mic skills and plays his character well.

BQ1: Many other wrestlers that aren't muscular have had a push before.

BQ2: I doubt it, but then again, I could be wrong.

• LAL
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Chris Jericho is a huge superstar.

Chris Jericho is one of the best technical wrestlers ever, and you don't always have to be six foot six and two hundred and fiftey pounds to make it in pro wrestling.

Source(s): Pro Wrestling Opinion, Results, Reviews, and Fantasy Writing go to http://www.whatifwrestling.com/
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Jericho has paid his dues with years in the ring. He is one of the top stars in wrestling today. Its good to see they arent just making a wrestler champion simply because he's bigger. If size was all that mattered they would give the belt to Khali - as boring as he is. That wouldnt be any fun would it?

• 1 decade ago

Chris Jericho is VERY good at what he does ..... he knows the ring and how to wrestle in it ....

Chris has the mic skills to keep the fans yelling and hollering like the WWE wants .....

He's got the athletic ability and handles himself very well .....

And; he co operates with the WWE when it is time to drop a belt , lose a match etc ..he is right there and helping ....

Thus; off and on as he advances in his careeer ; they give him an extra nudge as oneday Chris Jericho will be a LEGEND and in the WWE Hall of Fame !!

Source(s): My Pro Wrestling Group on Yahoo: News, Rumors, Gossip, Tid-Bits, 'n MORE on the WWE - ROH - TNA - the Indies - and the MMAs. Members are Encouraged to Participate !! http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/UltimateWrest...
  • 1 decade ago

Because Chris Jericho is the best in the world at what he does.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.