Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPerforming Arts · 1 decade ago

Flute comparison! Yamaha or Sonare?

I am considering using either the

YFL381H yamaha open hole b-foot in line

or the

SF51BOF sonare flute custom s/s h/j b-foot offset B open hole

I am an intermediate level flutist and am going to be in very competitive festivals. Which one is the better flute in regards to tone quality? Or just in general which flute is better quality?

Favorite Answer

Well, it really comes down to personal preference. I personally hate in line flutes. I find the holes are wayyy harder to cover up. But that might just be me. I also am not a huge fan of Yamaha flutes. They're great for beginners, but they are by no means top of the line. Based on features and such, I'd say the Sonare, but I've also never played one...A flute designer once told me that to pick the right flute, you should be able to blow all your air through and get the biggest sound on your "favorite" note and not have it crack. Hope this helps :)

• ster

i think of of Yamaha must be perfect. in my opinion Gemeinhardt and Yamaha are greater advantageous efficient flutes. I performed the two one in each and every of them. The Yamaha sounds surprisingly extremely on an identical time as they have open holes.

Well you can't possibly know for sure unless you try both instruments. Places like Flute World allow you to try both instruments. I play on a yamaha and really love it. But I haven't tried anything else (except a Pearl for like a week but I decided the yamaha was better). It seems to me that my yamaha makes it easier to get low notes out but not as much for higher notes.

Always the Yamaha, but try the other one, you never know which has the best sound for you. Sometimes a brand can surprise you