HELP oil paint technique!!!!?

I am really interested in learning to how to achieve a marbly, mixture of colors, as if i mixed various acrylic paints and I could see various ribbons of color. I am thinking that maybe if I can make my oil paint very liquidy then it may work, but I dont know whether to use liquin or linseed oil.

Here is an example of the technique I am trying to achieve.... I know some part of it is manually painted but there must be a way to make it with a thick layer of liquidy paint

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item...

• M T
    Favorite Answer

Adding Liquin or linseed oil is unnecessary. Other than the Liquin assisting with drying I doubt either will help. The consistency of paint from a tube is best. You will not want it so thin that the colors run together. The paint will need to be thicker. You want the paint to maintain its independence and strength. Rather than mixing by stirring, you are going to be manipulating the paint directly on the canvas with a gesture as though you are icing a cake except you will drag one color into and through the other colors.

You basically need to decide what your main colors will be. Taking your linked example, there are only three colors used: red, yellow and black. Substitute your colors where I use these three. These example colors are available as is from a tube so you would squeeze a large amount of each onto the canvas. This is a rectangular canvas in the example. You would place the black near one end the yellow at the other and then the red in the middle. With a palette knife you would spread the paint mixing the color over the canvas. The key is to drag one color into another without over-mixing it. This retains the marbling effect. Too much mixing and you would have a soft gradation instead of the distinct color patterns mingling with each other.

Practice with the colors using small amounts of each on a paper plate until you get the technique down. Push the paint around with the tip for fine twirls and use the large edge of the blade to move the pure color. Remember, do not over-mix by stirring. Limit the number of strokes through the colors and don't get carried away before it is too late and it is over-worked.