Just got my license yesterday, can I drive with people(CA)?

I passed my driving test yesterday and got the temporary license slip until the plastic one arrives. I drove my little brothers to school and told my friend about it. He said that I have to drive alone for a whole year before I can drive people around. Is this true? Because I read the slip and it didn't say any of what he mentioned.

I'm 18 btw

• Favorite Answer

Yes this is true, however there are some exceptions to the rule. Hopefully the following info helps.

This was taken directly from the CA DMV website:

Provisional Driving Restrictions—You must be accompanied and supervised by a licensed parent, guardian or other licensed driver 25 years of age or older or a licensed or certified driving instructor when you:

Transport passengers under 20 years of age at any time, for the first twelve months.

Drive between 11 pm and 5 am for the first twelve months.

To determine if these restrictions apply to you, look at the date on your driver license. The date printed just to the left of your photograph is the date these restrictions begin. The new restrictions apply for 12 months following this date.

For example: If the date on your license is May 7, 2005, you will have the above restrictions through May 7, 2006. Violation of either restriction can result in a fine and/or community service.

Persons under 18 may not be employed to drive a motor vehicle. When you turn 18 years of age, the provisional part of your license ends. You may continue to drive as an adult using your photo license, which will expire on your 5th birthday after the date you applied.

Exceptions to Restrictions

When reasonable transportation is not available and it is necessary for you to drive, the law grants the following exceptions for minors to drive between 11 pm and 5 am or to transport an immediate family member unaccompanied and unsupervised.

The law allows the following exceptions when reasonable transportation is not available and it is necessary for you to drive. A signed note must be kept in your possession for any of these exceptions explaining the necessity and the date when the driving necessity will end (except emancipated minors).

Medical necessity when reasonable transportation alternatives are inadequate. The note must be signed by your physician, and contain the diagnosis and probable date of recovery.

Schooling or school-authorized activity. The note must be signed by your school principal, dean, or his/her designee.

Employment necessity and the need to operate a vehicle as part of your employment. The note must be signed by your employer verifying employment.

Your necessity or the necessity of an immediate family member. The note must be signed by your parent or legal guardian.

If you are an emancipated minor, no documentation is needed. However, you must have already declared yourself emancipated and provided DMV with Proof of Financial Responsibility (SR 1P) in lieu of your guarantors’ signatures.

Hey

I just got my license today. Yeah, if you have a license and you are under the age of 18, you may NOT drive with anyone under the age of 20, and have a curfew between the times of 11 pm to 5 am. After one year of having your provisional license, you may drive with whoever you want.

In California, for the first year after you get your license (or until you turn 18, whichever comes first), you are not allowed to drive minors under 20 unless there is an adult over 20 present in the car.

Don't listen to TiddleWiddle or Ganger, they don't know what they're talking about and probably aren't even from California.

Source(s): California DMV website

Congrats, ironically, i also got my license yesterday.

No one has told me that i can't carry passengers for a certain time period. So i guess their just messing with you. However, i live in South Africa, and i am not sure if the same implies where you are

If you have your permit, you can only drive with family and 1 friend, if it's your full license, you're good to drive around who ever you want.

It depends on your state laws. It's different in all states. When you got your license the laws should have been made clear to you. You need to check it out or you could loose them as quick as you got them.

• vaghn

confident it particularly is usual. you're using a gadget that could harm you or somebody else and there is countless rules and strategies which you would be able to remember mutually as your using. that is going to take a while till finally you get use to it, yet you will and it is frequently 2d nature to you.

since you don't say how you are

if you are under 20 its no with one expedition if you are driving a sibling you can drive them with anote from your parnets

but if you are over 20 its fine

that is a load of old codswallop.

Your a licensed driver, you can drive people around straight away.