Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheater & Acting · 1 decade ago

John Casablancas modeling agency?

So I went into an open call for John Casablancas modeling agency. They talked about their classes in the open audition part, but when I went back for my 1 on 1 interview they said they wanted to sign me for print work, That's all I'm really interested in so it sounds good. He also said if I was interestedin acting at all then I could opt to take the classes for acting But i made it clear that I didn't want to do that. He was not at all pushy and recommended that I just sign with them for print. He also said if I sign with them then my comp cards and everything I need to get started would be all free, that they would take care of it all. It just seems too good to be true. Anyone have an opinion?

Favorite Answer

Do NOT listen to Jessy! She's giving you BAD advice that can RUIN your career.

They LIED to you! They're NOT an agency! They're a SCAM!

The ONLY thing that John Casablancas will help you with is becoming $2000 POORER and getting LAUGHED OUT of LA and NY! You do NOT want this "school" on your resume!

You do NOT need classes for commercial print!

I've gone to a few of the JC franchises and given REALLY BAD auditions just to see how selective they were. They obviously were NOT when they called me the next day saying that I got the highest ratings and gave me a chance to attend a few classes for free, RED FLAG!

The JC classes that I went to were overcrowded filled with people who have no business to be actors. They were probably told by the JC people that they also got the highest scores at the audition. The teachers were VERY unqualified. Most of the teachers from what I've gathered were struggling actors with very few credits teaching to pay their bills.

John Robert Powers, Barbizon, and John Casablancas are all SCAMS! They are NOT agencies! They MISLEAD people into thinking that they are, but are NOT. LEGIT Agencies only make money when you do (10% for film/tv and commercials, 20% for commercial print). REAL AGENTS DON'T take $2000 upfront and DON'T make you take their subpar classes. YES! You'll be paying at least $2000 for crappy classes!

A school for modeling is the biggest scam, period! When you get picked up by a LEGIT agency like Ford or Elite, they will teach you or hire coaches. They're not going to reject your resume because "oh, you don't have any modeling classes."

If you don't think they're scams, then go waste thousands of dollars that could go towards good headshots and training from the BEST schools (JRP, JC, and Barb. are NOT the best!) Also, go to a major market like L.A. or N.Y. with those schools on your resume. You'll get LAUGHED out!

Schools like Barbizon, JRP, and JC still exist because there are a lot of suckers trying to get into acting and for the money. They think that going to one school will be the answer and it's not. It's these schools that give them and feed off of those false promises. For every 100 people that go through these scammy schools and lose their money, there will always be that naturally talented kid that gets work and that these scammy schools take credit for.

JRP-Banks on the name of a very famous and DEAD agent. They say that Lucille Ball, John Wayne, Barbara Walters, Heather Locklear, Peter Fonda, Jane Fonda, and many other famous actors went to the school, when NONE of them did! Some of those celebs even threatened legal action for using their names. So you see, they use bait and switch tactics.

John Casablancas-The franchises have been known for unethical business practices and really have nothing to do with the founder's original intentions.

Barbizon-It was popular back in the 70s and 80s. Now these franchises have been known for unethical business practices and false promises. EXPOSED ON DATELINE!

These schools are OVERPRICED and DON'T provide the caliber training that more affordable and REPUTABLE schools like Howard Fine Studios, Ivanna Chubbuck, Upright Citizens Brigade, Groundlings, Second City, Beverly Hills Playhouse, Stella Adler, William Esper Studios, Tom Todoroff, Joanne Baron/D.W. Brown, Margie Haber, etc. do.

Source(s): Working LA actor, Acting Scambuster, and respected contributor to http://bbs.backstage.com/groupee

It's not a hoax of anything.. there a good agency.. And if they were scamming you they would ask for money .. don't worry about it.. your just getting some luck.. you must have the kind of look they want don't be so suspicious and just have fun with it ok :) well done x

do a web search of "John Casablancas Scam" and see what you find.