Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsReptiles · 10 years ago

Question about frogs ?!?

I have these frogs : http://img682.yfrog.com/i/24022010245.jpg/

I don't know anything about them ! ( there food, live in water or on ground...bla bla bla ! )

Give me any information about them .

Thank you !

Favorite Answer

I can't tell... are these frogs in water? They honestly look like African dwarf or African clawed frogs. Where did you get them? How did you get them? If they're ADFs or ACFs they should be in water constantly. I'M REALLY WORRIED about these frogs. Contact me ASAP. If theyre one of these kinds I can help and get you in contact with other people.

They are almost definately not tree frogs..

If they've been out of water a while they may not be dead. Please don't just throw them away. Add SPRING water or tap water WITH a water conditioner just enough to cover their bodies. Allow their noses to be above the water when theyre not moving. This hopefully will rehydrate them and you will have a wonderful pet.

PLEASE CONTACT ME!

They look like tree frogs.

http://www.answers.com/topic/tree-frog

Your frog, if well cared for, should live for a very long time! That means you're going to run into the same problem everyone with pets runs into whenever they go out of town for vacations..."Who's gonna care for my pet while I'm away??"

Unlike feeding a few flakes to a goldfish, the idea of live bugs isn't very appealing to most people who haven't been as enlightened about frogs as you and I have! In some cases, you can convince a "frog sitter" to care for your frogs if they don't actually have to touch the bugs. (You can read about how to make ick-free cricket containers on my Dealing With Bugs page.) So, if you plan on getting a frog, plan ahead as to how vacations will be handled.

Frog Sitters in the Lansing, Michigan area

Recommended Frogs for Beginners

For the first frog encounter, I strongly recommend the African Dwarf Frog. These guys are small, active, cute, and about as difficult to maintain as a tank of goldfish. You also don't have to deal with live bugs and they can be kept in the same conditions as goldfish for extended periods of time...(as long as there is a cover!) Dwarf frogs are very easy to take care of once they've become used to their new home. As with all fish, expect the first couple of weeks for adaptation time (many times pet stores will sell frogs that are already sick, or that are very very small and which may be a bit fragile in the first couple of weeks.) My sister had terrible luck with the baby frogs until she learned to wait for 2 weeks before she names her new pet (Usually, by then you can tell if the frogs will make the long haul) The best recommendation here is to get them at a decent size. Avoid really skinny ones or ones that are as small as your pinky-nail. In addition, if the frog doesn't give the pet shop owner a really hard time when the net goes into the tank, it may indicate some initial signs of being in less than perfect condition.

Don't confuse these with African Clawed frogs, which look very similar when small. The clawed frogs get quite large and actually are illegal in some states (Like in Oregon and California!)

For a beginning frog owner who wants to get the full terrestrial frog experience, Oriental Firebellied Toads are an excellent choice. These guys are fairly simple to care for, in so far as they can survive fairly well off crickets with vitamin supplements, and they are incredibly active critters. They also don't get too large. Finally, there are no hibernation requirements for this species and they do well in temperatures that people generally are happy to have in their homes. Unless you live in an icebox or in extremely hot climates, this species of frog won't need special climatization for it's terrarium. You'll need to find someone who can handle crickets when you go away on vacation for a week or more to take care of them though, but keep in mind crickets are much easier than frozen mice! (Finding a frog sitter for my Firebellies proved to be fairly difficult for me, until I found a friend who actually works at the pet store where I buy the crickets and he was nice enough to take care of them for me while I was out of town!)

A good Tree Frog for beginners is the White's Tree Frog. This frog has a funny personality and seems to be quite a popular pick. It should be warned however, that some children bore of the whites tree frog despite its funny personality, simply because they tend to just sit around a lot. (Once I even got a letter that said "Whites Tree Frog-What a blob of nothing!") Much of the behavior of the frogs however, can be traced to how much they eat (and how fat they get!). In addition, the Whites Tree frog is one of the few frogs that is fit to occasionally be handled, and it certainly has warmed the heart of many frog enthusiasts!

In addition to dealing with crickets, the Whites tree frogs need a little more care than the Firebellies need, simply because they live best with humidity and are happiest when the tank is sprayed with water once or twice every day. However, as far as Tree-Frogs go, they are by far one of the easiest to deal with and hardiest species available to be kept as pets!

Poison Frogs are absolutely NOT a beginners frog. Even though these frogs lose their toxicity in captivity, their care is very complicated and these fragile beings have very specific requirements for healthy captivity. I don't even want to write up any care sheets because I myself am not expert enough to tackle the complicated procedures for proper care of such breeds.

Expensive frogs in general should not be a frog considered by the beginner because a frog that costs over 50 bucks is a high investment to make when you are still learning about frog care. Even if you've read all there is to read about frog care, you really ought to start with an easier breed before taking on the more expensive breeds like Red-Eyed TreeFrogs and such.

Frogs captured in the wild should be a frog that you KNOW, otherwise you take the risk of