Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 10 years ago

if there isnt a god, what about 'the observer affect'?

Fundamental to contemporary Quantum Theory is the notion that there is no phenomenon until it is observed. This effect is known as the 'Observer Effect'. 1

The implications of the 'Observer Effect' are profound because, if true, it means that before anything can manifest in the physical universe it must first be observed. Presumably observation cannot occur without the pre-existence of some sort of consciousness to do the observing. The Observer Effect clearly implies that the physical Universe is the direct result of 'consciousness'.

This notion has a striking resemblance to perennial esoteric theory which asserts that all phenomena are the result of the consciousness of a single overlighting Creative Principle or the Mind of God.

There is a delicious irony in all this. Contemporary Western scientific theory postulates that human consciousness is solely a result of the workings of a physical brain, yet if the observer effect is correct, the physical matter comprising a brain cannot come into existence until it is the subject of observation by some pre-existing consciousness.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

That's not what the observer effect says at all.

The observer effect merely says that the act of being observed changes the phenomenon being observed. That's it.

Edit: Oh, and do you realize that plagiarizing--even plagiarizing nonsense--is stealing, right?

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

I can absolutely guarantee you that there are distant stars in the universe that we have "not yet" observed that do, in fact, exist. You have a SERIOUSLY flawed conception of "manifesting in the physical universe" if you believe the Observer Effect as you have presented it here. If this is, in fact, "fundamanetal" to Quantum theory, then I submit that quantum theory is completely unfounded and needs to be reconsidered as a valid hypothesis. More likely, the error lies with your understanding.

• swaner
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Early human have been the two hunter-gathers or carry at the same time-hunters. Now to hunter-gathers because of the shortage of nutrients the main serious individual interior the tribe grew to become into the male hunter who would desire to furnish for the tribe and preserve them. in this subject the sumptuous being grew to become right into a male god. to hold at the same time-hunters because of the fact that nutrients grew to become into ample the main serious individual interior the tribe grew to become into the smart woman who knew the thank you to handle different illnesses. in this subject the sumptuous being grew to become right into a woman goddess. Over historic previous while tribes met there have been 2 paths they'd pass down. one million) Peace,commerce, intermarriage this finally ends up interior the theory that their god and goddess have been a married couple ruling the universe. And so a pantheon is born, as new tribes connect the hot deities are further into the genealogy. 2) war,conquest slavery this finally ends up interior the theory that the victors deity is powerful and the others are incorrect. because of the fact that hunter-gathers are greater used to employing spears and bows, while in comparison with the carry at the same time-hunters who plough and water. multiple the time the god wins over the goddess. because of the fact of this maximum monotheistic religions have self assurance in a male god. Having reported all that i've got self assurance God is previous finite recommendations like male or woman. So my answer is God is neither & the two on an identical time.

• 10 years ago

Who told you that crap? As far as I know, you're talking about the Hawthorn Effect which talks about the effects on something observed caused by the act of observing. I have never heard of an accepted scientific principle that nothing exists until it is observed.

But by the logic you present, God does not exist until observed.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

That theory is base on us observing, not some magic unicorn, or bearded man. And it is the changes that observation on phenomenal will have some sort of effect. If the outcome of an event has not been observed, it exists in a state of 'superposition', which is akin to being in all possible states at once.

• 10 years ago

God can neither be proven nor denied until one can see for himself that God exists.

Take this: A room full of people all see that there is an orange in the center of the room. The orange is then taken away and the people left. Was the orange actually there?

Even though they all can see that the orange was there, how would they prove it. Some might use science to deduce the orange was there and if there is no evidence, disprove it. Others might just say because they saw the orange was there, it had been there.

Interesting.

• 10 years ago

i agree with the first few answerers,

other than that, the idea that somethign has to be observed, did it suggest it has to be concious and aware

and has to be a god?

or,

did it point out the fact that even bacteria, viruses and woodlouce etc count in that theory?

that anything that is even remotely 'alive' or not, can be the 'observer'

• Don't ask me. I understand quantum stuff just about as much as I understand how anyone could believe in God.

All I know is that scientific concepts usually don't involve mythical superbeings.

• 10 years ago

You've been watching 'what the bleep do we know' havn't you.

Just so you know - that so called 'documentary' is a load of rubbish that completely misrepresents quantum mechanics.

Quantum mechanics doesn't work in the way you suggest either btw.

• 10 years ago

You've got it all wrong. It isn't that there is NOTHING existing until observed, it's that ALL possible phenomena exist until observed. ALL... not NONE.

Cheers!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.