bankruptcy and property involving two states...?

My aunts’ husband passed away leaving her with more unsecured debt than she can pay and she is facing bankruptcy. My aunt lives in Florida and I live in Kansas. She is listed as co-owner of my house in Kansas even though she has not lived in Kansas for more than 12 years and has no real interest in this property. I pay and have paid all mortgage payments, taxes, insurance, maintenance and improvements on my home.

She was told that if she files bankruptcy, “they” (I’m assuming the court) will seize 50% of the remaining equity in my home in Kansas. Is this true, or is there a way I can avoid this? Although she has not been able to pay her deceased husbands debts since January 2010, she has not officially filed for bankruptcy at this point.

Favorite Answer

Normally they would seize the entire thing. Yes, they will seize her assets, it is not avoidable.

She has "real interest", she owns it. That is as real as it gets.

At this site you can find solutions from different companies: QUOTEHELP.NET-

RE Bankruptcy and property involving two states...?