? asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicJazz · 1 decade ago

is the song hello dolly by louis armstrong an aaba form or 12-bar blues?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It is not a blues, nor it is an AABA form. The first eight bars in Louis Armstrong's version are in Bb, the second group eight start in C minor but modulate back toward Bb for the third group of eight, and the fourth group of eight starts in G minor (relative to Bb, but the D7 at the end of the third eight suggests G harmonic minor) and through a couple of secondary dominants until ultimately resolving to Bb. I'd label it ABAC or ABA with a coda.

Source(s): Thirty years of careful study of theory to help me learn tunes.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

I agree with St. Petersburg Native.

It is more like A, B, A, C. The first and third group of 8 bars are similar (not identical) and the second and fourth are different. However, if you actually watch the musical, "Hello, Dolly!" there are more parts of the song than that.

• 1 decade ago

Neither

"Hello Dolly" is a popular show tune by that follows an A A B, A A B pattern throughout.

Music & Lyrics: Jerry Herman

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

well hello dolly is a musical and its the dahli lama and hes some indian guy that does a lot of stuff. They have no relation. but i think theres also a song hello dolly for Dolly Parton the famous country singer.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It is definitely not a blues. AABA is the form of this tune .

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.