Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Do you think using full-body scanners at airports violates the 4th amendment?

Do you have to have probable cause and a warrant before you can do a full body scan?? Or will airport personal be able to randomly scan whoever they want??

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100223/ap_on_bi_ge/us...

Government officials say the first of 150 new full-body scanners will be installed in airports in Boston and Chicago over the next two weeks.

A Homeland Security Department official said Tuesday all of the 150 new machines will be installed by the end of June. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the announcement is not yet public.

The body-scanners were purchased with money from President Barack Obama's stimulus plan announced in February last year.

The use of the machines in airports is a key part of the Obama administration's plans to improve airport security. Obama called for buying hundreds more of them after the attempted Christmas Day terror bombing of a Detroit-bound airliner.

scott b............But this article isn't talking about PRIVATE security. It's talking about govt. funds and homeland security.

Favorite Answer

I think it's incredibly intrusive and it's being used simply because someone let this underwear bomber nut job on the plane without a valid passport. He never should have been able to board the plane for that reason alone. Not because they may have found powder in his underwear during a body scan. A body scan is not going to detect viruses that a prospective terrorist may have been exposed to in order to spread disease as a form of mass murder. It's a stupid, reactionary response, just like the 3 oz limit of liquids and having to remove shoes in the security line. Profiling is not politically correct, but it's the logical form of pre-boarding security.

• No, don't fly then. Sorry. We are at war. Everyone has to compromise. Besides, I have no confidence in the security folks who are operating this new equipment. They've already "leaked" their secret security info online. What's the point? How much are we paying these people? Are these people still working? Probably so because of their Union. Stay off of aircraft. Know that if you don't, there is no guarantee you will get to where you are going. It's your choice.

Is it unreasonable? what other way is there of checking that unwanted items are not present? Probable cause might exercise the lawyers I suppose. That is the problem with having a detailed written constitution backed up by a supreme court - society gets caught in a time warp.

I think it does, but I know I'm wrong.

People have a right to travel but not the right to travel but a specific mode of transport.

I guess we can walk anywhere we like but if we want to do anything else to speed the process up we have to give up some rights.

That's the part I don't like but the courts don't see it as a violation of our rights.

I don't know. I kind of see the airport as their house. If you came over to my house with a rifle or something, I may ask you to check it at the door. You could either comply with the rules of my house or you could leave. Not that I would actually care if you brought a weapon to my house. It is just an example.

I think its a massive overraction that wont actually prevent ppl from brining bombs on the plane and a tremendous waste of money. There is no way someone smuggle something up their butt like they do 1000's of times every day in prisions, nope thats impossible. Waste of my time, waste of my resources. Adopt the Israel model, you know the one that actually works. Either that or techonology that can determine chemical compounds.

• jim h

No. Flying is not a right , it's a choice and a privilege and you have the right not to fly. The only people who have problems with these kind of things are the ones that don't want to get caught at something.

Yes.

And to those saying it's a private company. Is the TSA a private company? No. It is a government agency.

no because you dont have to go to the airport, now public schools being able to search your car is another thing, a place run by the government that the government requires you to go to and then they can search your property(the buses dont always go to certain places, some people where i live have to drive)

Those people who complain wouldn't object if it meant they weren't the ones getting blown up midair.