Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 10 years ago

How can I get probiotic powder into my cat?

My 100% in-door 8 year old cat managed to get some sort of intestinal infection and is on a strong antibiotic to fight it. As a result, she also needs to take a probiotic powder to replace the good digestive bacteria. We were told to mix it with either canned cat food or stage 2 baby food.

She has been on the same dry food for 7 years. She’s very picky about what people food she’ll eat, and has never had canned food before yesterday. She tried a little of it and turned up her nose. Tonight, we’re going to try some people tuna and/or some chicken baby food.

If those don’t work, any other ideas for how to get this probiotic stuff into her? She adores smoked meat, but we don’t exactly have 8 hours to sit around smoking a chicken for her. :-)

I even considered offering her plain yogurt since the variety we feed our toddler contains active cultures, but she’s really never shown a like for diary and her main symptom of the infection is diarrhea. I’m under the impression that dairy can cause that issue in cats so I don’t really want to add to her trouble.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Best Answer

I was thinking of the plain yogurt as soon as I read your title! It might help, but the problem with this yogurt is that it doesn't contain enough "good" bacteria to really help the situation, even cultured ones. It might be a good idea as something to give her down the road once or twice a week for maintenance, since it's only a teaspoon or so, but you're better off using something else.

If you can't get her to eat the powder at all, talk to your vet about other options. Probiotic comes in paste, jell, capsules, etc. I personally think the powdered version is the least likely to succeed, for the reasons you mentioned. Most people can get capsules down a cat, either by holding head back or using one of those plastic "shooters" that sends a pill down the throat.

• 3 years ago

Probiotic Cat Food

• Qatie
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

Cats and dog have slightly different intestinal bacteria than people, so the probiotics meant for humans don't benefit them as much. You CAN give them plain yoghurt in most cases - yoghurt is more digestible than straight milk, and the lactose intolerance issue in cats is a little overblown anyway. Adult mammals of any species are often lactose-intolerant; it's not a specific problem in cats. So basically it's okay to try a little dairy treat - just stop if you see problems like gassiness, diarrhea or vomiting.

You can try getting the dry food a little wet - just enough so the powder will stick to it. Or just sprinkle the powder on it dry - she'll probaly eat a fair amount with the other mouthfuls of kibble. Try the baby food too - a lot of cats like it. With tuna, try just mixing the powder in with the tuna-flavored water you squeeze out of the can instead of giving actual tuna meat. If you do try yoghurt, mix the probiotic powder in with it.

But if she won't eat the probiotics, she may be okay anyway. Not every cat gets stomach upset on antibiotics, even strong ones like Clavamox. Thet probiotics are a good idea, but cats HAVE been getting Clavamox for years before animal probiotics like FortiFlora were invented.

• 10 years ago

A probiotic is always suggested as a precaution with antibiotic therapy. Chicken baby food (none with onions or garlic) will probably be an instant hit. Baby food has a strong scent that most cats find irresistible.

As far as yogurt, that is the approach many use. Yes, most cats are lactose intolerant after being weaned, but the amount of dairy product you will give her with licking some yogurt is tiny, and shouldn't cause any problem.

Another approach is tuna juice (the water poured off the tuna in water cans). Most cats cannot resist tuna juice, so mixing the powder with the tuna juice may be a hit.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

Force feeding a cat with claws is risky. Ahem! Like it may claw you. Just some fyi. Im still trying to figure something out.

• J C
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Unless she eats canned, the powder just isn't going to work. There are jells that contain the same beneficial bacteria, and your vet can give you one of those. You'll just squirt the jell in her mouth, rather than trying to mix it with food. The other option is a product sold at the pet store called Bene-bac - same thing. It comes in a package of three little tubes, and you squirt one in their mouth each day. All the big chain stores sell it - just check the expiration date on it.

Keep trying the canned - cats react both to flavor and texture in their food. Canned foods range from pasty to soupy, from very smooth to minced to shredded to chunky. Try chicken, fish, and beef in the various textures, and you may find one she likes.

The yogurt probably won't make her diarrhea worse, but you really don't get the same impact feeding them yogurt as a concentrated probiotic since they eat so little of it.

Source(s): many years of cat rescue
  • 10 years ago

first, once you get her cured, start feeding canned. mostly meat, like "instinct". cats that eat nothing but dry get health issues because they do not drink a lot of water and get most fluids from the food they eat. you can leave some dry out all day, but feed mostly canned.

i am not familiar with that medicine, but if it dissolves in water, drain the water from a can of tuna fish in water, mix it in that, serve like a saucer of water. canned chicken water should work as well.

you are correct in avoiding yogurt, all dairy makes most cats sick.

• eyJude
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

what i do is

1. wet finger with water... dip in the powder and wipe it on the cats tongue (buy Acidophilus at the health food store or market in the vitamin section)

2. sprinkle on food

3. mix in with wet food.

for diarrhea give rice cereal (baby) and sprinkle it on dry food (spay first with water) or mix with tuna water and leave out to eat on it's own.

• 10 years ago

Dont give her plain yogurt,my vet said its not good.As you said milk can make things worse.

Keep trying new kinds of food,fishes or meat, hope you get some progress.If not I guess you will have to ask your vet if its ok mix with water or so and put in her mouth with a syringe - she will hate , of couse!

• 4 years ago

try pushing the medicine into a cube of cheese. i have found with my cats that they love cheese and dont notice the midicine/ supplement. try giving her some cheese without the medicine first to see if she likes it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.