Lark
Lark asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

If your favorite literary, film & television characters had Y!A accounts, what would their user names be and..?

what image would they use as their avatar?

Bonus Questions:

1. Would you want to be their contact?

2. Do you think their answers would be ones you would a) thumbs up, b) thumbs down, or c) contemplate reporting because they so egregiously violated the rules?

3. What sections would they frequent? Would any of them make it to the Top Answerer list?

4. Who would troll?

5. Who would be bummed to lose their Top Contributor badge?

6. Who would mock those with TC badges?

7. Which ones would you develop such a rapport with you'd wish you could meet them in "real-life."

Thanks in advance for your answers. : )

BQ 8) Could you please give an example of the type of question they would ask?

Oh my goodness, these answers are brilliant, and though I'm picking one as the best in order to resolve the question, there are several deserving of that recognition. Thank you for delighting me with your creativity! ((((Hugs)))) to you all.

Favorite Answer

Woooooooooooooooooo!

I'm warning you that this answer is a mess. My creativity has been misplaced. I also had 3 hours of Japanese class today so it feels weird to re-adjust my mind to English after such a long class. Does that even make sense? I also will come back and edit this later tonight, because at the moment it's pretty jumbled. I just wanted to answer when I had the time! : )

1. Hermione Granger. Although her journey at Hogwarts has ended and she's moved onto another stage of her life, married to Ron, having a family etc. I think the crest of Gryffindor would be her avatar.

2. Kate from My Sister's Keeper. This book makes my heart ache but I absolutely love it... Even if I do look like a mess after I'm done reading it. Seriously, first time I read it - Tissues. Everywhere. In the beginning of the book, Anna sold her locket in order to rake up enough money for the lawyer. The locket meant so much to her and when I think of Kate's account, I imagine a picture of a golden, heart shaped locket.

3. Mr. Harvey from The Lovely Bones. I’m using my poetic license and reversing the icicle incident and I’ll pretend he’s still living out there, somewhere. Hah, I don’t think I can just reverse a whole story’s ending but I’ll do it anyway. I don't imagine he would've dedicated a lot of time to Yahoo. He would be one of the many answerers with the default grey box.

4. Sadako and the thousand paper cranes. I don't know if a lot of people know about this story, so I wasn't going to include Sadako in my answer. Actually, for a few reasons. Seeing as this story is non-fiction and she did eventually pass away in all versions of the story. I've chosen to anyway. I heard about this story a long, long time ago and I thought it was beautiful. I then went on my school study tour and as part of it, had the opportunity to visit the Hiroshima museum and local sites. Sadako is immortalized in a statue and often told around the time of the anniversary of the Hiroshima bombings. I bought a copy of the book when I was there, though I've heard a few different endings of the book.

Here's a quick little explanation of this story if anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about:

In Japan, there is a story that says if you fold 1000 paper cranes, a wish will be granted. Sadako had developed Leukaemia as a result of the Atomic Bomb and spent a lot of time in hospital. The most common ending I heard is that she only reached 644 cranes, and after her death her school mates finished the rest and buried the thousand with her. Now, when you visit the memorial parks, there are thousands of cranes in display boxes and hanging from poles. Everyone in our group folded a crane and added to the collection. It really is a beautiful. And now, that I've strayed from the point... I think Sadako's avatar would be of a delicate, folded crane. The crane is a symbol of hope and peace and her story has given hope to many.

(Oh my, I'm really sorry for going so off topic and answering with an absurdly long story)

1. Would you want to be their contact?

~ Everyone but Mr. Harvey's. Mr Harvey would be like a random person with hardly any points who adds people and stalks through their questions. If someone like Mr. Harvey added me, it would be a very quick block. I would add Kate because I admire her strength and I find her very interesting. I would add Hermione because she is amazingly smart. And I would add Sadako because I imagine her answers would be inspiring and beautiful.

~ I don't think I would report anyone. Mr. Harvey wouldn't rack up many points on the site but would quietly observe the boards and scan through the questions. If he were to answer in a creepy way, then I'd be the first to report him. I would always thumbs up Hermione because I know her intelligent answers would blow me away.

~ Hermione would be here, there and everywhere in between. In homework help, sciences, mythology and folklore. I imagine she would get fed up with the Adolescent very quickly and stray somewhere else. Oh! She's a parent now, so the parenting section also. But some of the trolls in there would probably make her roll her eyes as well. Sadako would spend the majority of her time in the philosophy section and Kate would alternate between Health and Adolescent.

4. Who would troll?

~ Mr. Harvey would probably. (Whenever I mention him, I feel like I'm being morbid! Sorry!) I think he would be the kind of troll who makes up a long and detailed story to manipulate other people into vulnerable positions. He obviously had a lot of time on his hands and would pay special attention to detail in order not to get his story messed up.

~ Hermione has that competitive streak in her and I think she would be disappointed about it. I think Sadako would inspire and charm everyone in her answers and would keep her badge for insanely long time. I don't think Kate would be online enough to get a TC but her answers would be helpful and to the point.

6. Who would mock those with TC badges?

~ Hm...Maybe Kate? I don't know if she would mock them but I don't think she would imagine it to be very important.

~ If you haven't noticed yet, I really admire and think highly of Hermione. I would love to meet everyone except for Mr. Harvey. Actually, let's put back that ending with him being killed by an icicle because my stomach is twisting just thinking of him. In the movie, he creeped me out SO much.

8. Could you please give an example of the type of question they would ask?

~ This is the part where my creativity dies, and I can't think of an exact question anyone would ask... But, perhaps along the lines of:

Hermione would ask something about a moral dilemma, I think. There were a few instances where she was a bit caught up between friends or following rules. One of my favourite lines from the whole series is: "I'm going to bed before either of you come up with another idea to get us killed, or worse: expelled.

When I thought about Sadako's question, I thought of the one you asked about hope. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AtwL0... The kind of questions that make you think and realise how beautiful life can be.

Sorry for such a tediously long and boring answer to such an amazing and interesting question. At least now my mind's shifted back into English gear. : ) ((((((((hugs)))))))))

• Lauren

Hmmm... A favorite literary character's bedroom is kind of hard. I could tell you that in John Le Carre's novels George Smiley is described as being dressed 'like a bookie', but that's not really what you asked. That should give an idea of the problem, though; in my favorites, the characters and stories aren't concerned with that sort of aesthetic. They're more about meaning, mystery, function and purpose than surroundings. To give another example, in The Man In The Box by Mary Lois Dunn, the box is a bamboo cage. A Vietnamese boy helps a US prisoner escape the box and reach his own people, which isn't really about the box. And William Sleator's House Of Stairs isn't really about the 'house' the characters are trapped in, it's about their behavior as they remain trapped. My all-time favorite book is I Am The Cheese by Robert Cormier (Yes, Spell Checker, I misspelled his name again. Here, have some F.R.E.S.C.A...). That's one's not about a bedroom, but about a search which ends where it all begins. If I described his bedroom, I would just be telling you what he'd be losing, or describing where no one wants to be. (Not a happy story or happy ending.) If I tried the bedroom of one of the ones in the Gossip Girl I haven't read, I bet I'd need an extended residency at Bergdorf Goodman, Neiman Marcus and Tiffany's (and the Louvre) to research and I probably wouldn't be able to please the occupant. ****************************************... However, if I were to park Anais Nin or any other female author in a place to stay and just relax and let go, it would be a pearl gray room with ivory and alabaster trimmings. Lacy trim along the floor and ceiling to the corners which would be hung in real lace, floor to ceiling, gathered in the middle and spread at the bottom. Furnishings to match, but fairly minimal and simple as the library/writing room would be separate, based around a queen-size, four poster bed draped with more lace. The structure would allow two side walls of arched windows and the other a veranda. The side windows would be recessed, with window seats and more lace. (I like lace. Deal with it.) There would be trellises full of honeysuckle under and beside the windows. Beyond the foot of the bed would be arched french doors opening onto a veranda overlooking a field of wild flowers sloping down to a sandy beach and the sea. Preferably this would be somewhere fairly mild most of the year with winds from the sea a lot of the time, bringing the scents through whenever wanted. ****************************************... BQ: My space is nothing like that, really. It's a rented cavity near a grocery store with a dumpster that gets overly ripe in summer. The virgin's bower along one side does help a little, though. The inside is a book repository; that's what I get for collecting. Very basic and functional, within the limits of my budget. If I could, I'd live where I'd put somebody else. The room would be far less decorative, more basic, but the place and surroundings would suit me fine. The fields around me would be mostly broomsedge which turns a lovely orange yellow in the fall.

Horace Walpole would call himself Wilfred the Wonderful with a Yahoo Avatar with a king's crown on and Oscar Wilde would call himself 'Fantsy Pants' with an illustration of flowery wallpaper.

1. I'd love to!

2. I would probably want to thumbs up Oscar all the time and in stead of also answering the question, I would just comment on how clever his answer was! As for Horace... his melancholy outlooks would probably be seen as negativity and many would think he is a troll.

3. Oscar would most likely be the Top Answerer in Psychology, Gay&Lesbian, Words&Wordplay and Relationships while Horace would probably spend most of his time in the 'dreams' section.

4.Neither, but see no.2

5.Horace would secretly like being thus disrespected, and spend many days pondering his misfortune. Oscar would think it an outrage and never set sight on YAnswers again.

6. After two years Oscar would miss it and come back. At this stage he would definitely mock those who have it. He'd say things like: "There are two types of people; some who need a golden badge to validate themselves, and some who step away from their monitors once in a while to enjoy life."

7. I dunno.

8. Oscar: "I spent the morning putting in a comma, and now it just doesn't feel right, please help?"

Horace: "If a novel's preface is fictional, will it be seen as part of the novel or as a lie?"

1. I'd love to!

4.Neither, but see no.2

7. I dunno.

Margo Roth Spiegelman would have to be my favorite literary character. I honestly don't know why either. Anyways.

User name would most likely be Margo and I'd definitely want to be her contact. She has such a range of emotion that I think her answers would vary. No one really knew her true self and I think if she were on Y!A she'd let it out. I think 45% of them would be reported. Margo would target the P&S and Family and Relationships. Margo would definitely troll. She's one for revenge and mocking. She'd definitely not get a TC badge. Not with her answers and questions. If she actually asked questions. I'd like to meet her in "real-life" if she were real but she's just a fictional character someone was smart enough to configure.

EDIT: Avatar...hmm a picture of a town made of paper.

Source(s): "And all at once I knew how Margo Roth Spiegelman felt when she wasn't being Margo Roth Spiegelman: she felt empty. She felt the unscaleable wall surrounding her. I thought of her asleep on the carpet with only that jagged sliver of sky above her. Maybe Margo felt comfortable there because Margo the person lived like that all the time: in an abandoned room with blocked-out windows, the only light pouring in through holes in the roof. Yes. The fundamental mistake I had always made--and that she had, in fairness, always led me to make--was this: Margo was not a miracle. She was not an adventure. She was not a fine and precious thing. She was a girl."

Literary -- Stephen King would be the (already here) "Stephen K"

Movie -- George Clooney as Ulysses Everett McGill would be "Soggy Bottom Boy"

TV -- Horatio Cane (CSI Miami) would be "H"

Avatars:

Stephen K -- something scary

Soggy Bottom Boy -- a toad

H -- sunglasses

Bonus Questions:

1 -- Of course

2 -- I always thumb up my contacts answers, even if that gives them a greater total than mine.

3 -- They would usually camp in their respective categories, with occasional exception, and all would be Top Contributors.

4 -- No contact of mine would ever troll.

5 -- They wouldn't lose it, but all would be 'bummed'.

6 -- Only haters mock.

7 -- I already wish that were possible.

* bq 8 -- 'Stephen K' would ask, "Do you want to see something really scary?"

'Soggy Bottom Boy' would ask, "How's my hair?"

'H' would ask, "*whispers loudly* Do you, think I'm kidding, *removes sunglasses* about . . . murder?" YEEAAaaaahhhhh !

btw -- I knew that ck1 would show up. This one is too cool to pass up. Now, where is reader?

@ck1 -- of course you can ! Love you though !

Source(s): I'm gonna star this so reader, ck1, et.al. can come in here and blow my answer away ! lol !

Gosh, great question, but I'm immediately flooded with the numerous characters that are my favorites. I think I'll stick to those I find entertaining. The following may or may not be my favorites.

Felicity Worthington would probably have a username like "Parisian Model" or "Moulin Rouge Actress". I think she'd use an image appropriate to those names. Yes, I would be her contact, but I'd probably laugh more at her witty humor sense than give her thumbs up for any (doubtful) thoughtful answers she would condescend to give. She would frequent Art, Relationships, and Polls and Surveys. Maybe fashion and mythology. She'd definitely get a TC badge, but I doubt she'd keep it for long. Maybe she would troll on the side. Especially people she found stuck up and irritating. I would wish to meet her in real life, but let that be on my own terms, or I may end up hanging to a tree over a chasm somewhere in the realms.

Claude Frollo would have a name enunciating his full title with no humor at all. Of course, this would be hilarious, and people would assume he was joking, resulting in a lot of bishop related jokes. Since his questions and answers would either be extremely supercilious/creepy(looking for pretty 16 year olds?) I would generally either amusedly read them or report them. He would frequent the Adolescent section, dishing irritating and unhelpful advice - like "Flee those evil lusts!" Claude would troll frequently, but never realize he was doing it. He'd probably unwittingly acquire a fanbase of trolls who thought his trolling was deliberate. If he really wanted a Top Answerer status, he'd probably get it. He'd definitely be bummed to lose his TC, but then again, I'd mock him for having one in the first place. I would NOT want to meet him in real life, or add him as a contact, but I'd still have fun reading his answers. I'd PM him regularly, telling him to be nice to poor Quasi. And commend him for his one good deed, almost killing Phoebus.

All for now. May or may not add, seeing if I can think of anyone else.

This question is amazing, Skylar! Thanks!

Luthien

EDIT: Had to do this one ...

Umbridge would have a username including but not limited to : Dolores Jane Umbridge, Senior Undersecretary to the Minister of Magic, Hogwarts High Inquisitor/Headmistress. Doesn't matter that it won't fit everytime she posts something. People need to know her title!

I would love to be her fan, but I wouldn't like it if she knew that I existed. I would almost always thumbs down/report her answers, but I would most likely laugh myself sick over them first.

Umbridge would definitely troll. This is HER classroom, and she's always telling them not to talk, dammit! Since she can't slice their hands open, she'll report their answers. If she didn't always have a TC badge, she'd be highly offended. She'd always end her questions/answers with either "Good afternoon, class, wands away," or "There will be no need to talk". I wouldn't mock her for a TC badge. She would be contributing hugely to the entertainment factor all public Q&A forums need. If I met the woman in real life, I would steal her wand, period.

And her avatar? A picture of a kitten, of course!

• ck1

Literary:

-Elizabeth Bennet - "Lizzie" (She was, after all, a no-nonsense type of person.)

-Mr. Darcy - "Fitzwilliam" (He cannot abide disguise and affectation, but he would be too cautious to use his last name on a public forum.)

Film:

Not being sure which would be my favorites from movies and loving old movies as I do, I’m not sure who would recognize the character. I could go with Bunny Watson from the Spencer Tracy/Katharine Hepburn movie called Desk Set. Bunny Watson was played by Katharine Hepburn. Spencer Tracy called her a rare tropical fish, so that would be her user name: “Rare Tropical Fish.”

Television:

-Perry Mason (He could be under books, too.) – "The BEST Defense"

-Rod Serling (He’s not a character, but I adore The Twilight Zone.) – Let’s see, he’d call himself “The Puppet Master” or maybe “chimera” or simply “The Zone.” How about Phantasmagoria? (This word recently came up in conversation, and, though it’s not one I would normally use, I rather think Rod Serling would consider it a viable option.) Yes, I’ll go with the last one. He'd be "Phantasmagoria."

-Lizzie would come up with something whimsical and humorous. She would also delight in changing it every so often. Unfortunately, I can’t think of a thing.

-Mr. Darcy would have an artistic rendition of Pemberley as his avatar.

-Bunny Watson would use an avatar which corresponded with her user name.

-Perry Mason’s avatar would be an image of Blind Justice or maybe simply the scales of justice.

-Rod Serling would use one of these as his avatar - http://media.photobucket.com/image/twilight%20zone... or http://media.photobucket.com/image/twilight%20zone... or http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k150/luvmy4sons_... - maybe rotating them periodically.

Bonus Questions:

1. Would you want to be their contact?

Absolutely, to all of them.

Thumbs up to all.

Eventually they’d all become top answerers.

-Mr. Darcy would certainly get to the top quickly. His answers would be serious and well-informed. He would probably answer questions in Books & Authors, History and maybe even Business & Finance.

-Elizabeth's answers would be full of humor and usually right on target. However, I think she'd flit from section to section, looking for questions which appealed to her either for their ridiculousness and absurdity, their uniqueness or their humor. She might eventually end up one of the top answerers, but it would take some time.

-Bunny Watson worked in the reference department, so she’d be good in every section. She’d probably gravitate to Education & Reference and be on top quickly.

-Perry Mason would be in Politics & Government, Law & Ethics particularly. He’d be good, but it would take him some time to get to the top. He was always so busy working on cases!

-Rod Serling would frequent Mythology & Folklore under Society and Culture.

4. Who would troll?

None would troll. I’m thinking Perry Mason would be able to spot a troll a mile off. If it were harmless fun, he'd defend the person. Nasty trolls wouldn't last too long.

Mr. Darcy, when once he’d received it, wouldn't take kindly to losing that badge.

The rest would be more relaxed about the whole thing, so it wouldn’t bother them.

6. Who would mock those with TC badges?

Elizabeth would find the humor in badges, to be sure. However, she’d only mock those who took the badges seriously. Hmm…she’d probably be teasing Mr. Darcy a bit over that one.

I already -have- a rapport with and met both Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy. Oh, sorry, you didn't mean in my dreams. I'd gravitate more towards Elizabeth for her humor. She'd be so much fun to be around. Honestly, I’d want to meet all of them. Imagine a dinner with that group? The conversation would be amazing.

-Mr. Darcy wouldn’t ask any questions.

-Since this is both a fun and interesting question, it would be the type of question Elizabeth would ask.

-Bunny Watson was so good at research, she probably wouldn’t ask anything.

-Perry Mason might ask some legal “what if” kind of questions, just to get interesting answers.

-Rod Serling would probably ask “Do you believe this could happen” questions. “You wake up thinking this is just a typical day in your life, only to find not even your best friend knows who you are…” or “You meet a stranger who knows everything about you…” I’m not too sure, but whatever he asked would be fascinating.

@bruckcie: I can't blow yours and anyone else's answer away, but this was certainly a fun question.

Skylark, thanks for such an interesting question!

Oh, awesome question! My have so many for each, but I would say my favorite literary characters are Catherine Earnshaw from "Wuthering Heights" by Emily Bronte, O-lan from "The Good Earth" by Pearl Buck, and Willow from "Handle With Care" by Jodi Picoult. My favorite film / television characters include Amelie from "Amelie", Lizzy Bennett from "Pride and Prejudice", and Lorelai Gilmore from "Gilmore Girls".

Avatar:

~ Catherine Earnshaw's would be one of Heathcliff, her lover, with whom during her whole life she never got to be with. The passion they had for one another was fierce and undying, and during the climax of the story Catherine even shouts "I AM Heathcliff!" so no doubt he would be the one gracing her avatar. Either him, or the setting of her home, the moors.

~ O-lan from the poignant novel "The Good Earth" is one whose character, spirit, and good will I admire fiercely, and I think that her avatar would be of a bird. Whenever I think of O-lan I think of her determined, loyal, and genuine personality, and how she remained so devoted to her husband and children over the years. She's a gem of a character, and I praise Pearl Buck for the innovative, thoughtful creation. O-lan was a bird that longed to spread her wings, and she is a beacon of hope to me.

~ Willow was a girl born with a severe brittle bone disease called osteogenesis imperfecta, and her avatar would be of a graceful nature setting, or of a smooth surface of winter ice. Due to her condition, she was unable to ever be on the ice, and she wistfully watched her sister and her friends play ice skate. Ultimately, she dies from sneaking out to the frozen pond, losing her balance, and tumbling into the water. The icy pond would represent serenity and peace.

~ I haven't actually seen the movie "Amelie" but I've read book and film reviews and I think that I would like Amelie's fun loving, creative, and vibrant spirit. She'd be awesome to hang out with because she'd be able to give me fashion advice and how to carry myself like a graceful French woman. We'd waltz through the streets of Paris conversing in Frenglish. It be tres fun! Anyhow, her avatar would be one of a gorgeous pair of high heels, or a delightful string of pretty pearls.

~ Lizzy Bennett's, with question, would be one of a book.

~ As for Lorelai, that's kind of difficult, because she's rather a hard character to analyze. I'm going to have to give this one some thought.

Bonus Questions:

1. Would you want to be their contact?

~ Of course! There's a reason why they're all my favorites, and I think we would all be instant friends. Well, most of us, at least.

~ Well, Catherine might dote on Heathcliff to the extent of exhaustion, so I see her potentially a series of lusty rants which even I'd be tired of after a while. Lorelai's snazzy, sassy answers might earn a few thumbs down in a while too, but I'd laugh because I'd know that's just her quirky and pure-intentioned sense of humor. I'd imagine O-lan getting many thumbs up because of the wisdom and grace she'd demonstrate through her answers.

~ All of them would.

Catherine: Religion & Spirituality

O-lan: Philosophy

Willow: Adolescent

Amelie: No doubt, Fashion & Accessories

Lizzie Bennett: Books & Authors, but I'm sure she'd have TCs in other sections too

Lorelai: Difficult. Hmm. Even though she doesn't show it sometimes, I have a feeling she's knowledgeable in many areas. Probably something from the Family & Relationships side of the spectrum. Maybe Singles & Dating, considering that she always gives Rory good advice (in the long term, at least) about her boyfriends.

4. Who would troll?

~ None of them. I truly, sincerely, doubt it.

~ Willow might be a little dejected at first, but she'd earn it back quickly because people would love her earnest, genuine, and kind answers. If Lizzie lost hers, no worry. She has two others to fall back on. Lorelai would furiously start answering a series of questions until she got hers back because she's got such an ambitious, feisty spirit.

6. Who would mock those with TC badges?

~ Lorelai would mock people with the "weird" TCs. : )

~ All of them, absolutely. They've all impacted my ways of thinking, and I'd love meet them all (not at once, that's for sure though) over coffee.

EDIT: (Couldn't resist this one)

~ Catherine: "Do you have a soul mate who you feel represents you emotionally, spiritually, and virtually is you behind another body?"

She'd be shocked when people reply that no, of course they didn't! We are all our own person! There is no one who represents us better than ourselves, and is she crazy? She'd be so crestfallen that she'd delete the question.

~ O-lan:

She'd ask no questions. I have a feeling that she'd answer tens of thousands, and ask zero questions.

~ Willow: Being a physically not so typical teen, but a teen nonetheless, she'd have her share of insecurities and downfalls and she'd ponder the meaning of life. Quite like the ones I've asked and you've answered so beautifully, especially the loneliness and emotional roller coaster ones. And hopefully she'd have someone incredible like Skylark to answer them! : )

~ Amelie: "I'm going to start the next trend which will epically change the history of fashion! Believe me?" The idea would be something eccentric because that's totally typical of the quirky Amelie, and people would doubt her, but eventually, her idea would come to life, be published, and people would wear and love it for the following centuries.

~ Lizzie: She'd ask a series of thought-provoking book questions, along the lines of Shakespeare, Wordsworth, and Charlotte Bronte. "Is there anyone else who thought that the story line of Romeo and Juliet was incredibly cliché?"

~ Lorelai: Again, hers are always difficult. Maybe she'd have trouble with her taxes one day and ask a question in the United States section; maybe her dog, Paul Anka, would be overcome with sickness and she'd attack the Pets section; maybe Rory would disappoint to the point where she'd start a rant in Polls & Surveys: "Anyone have a teenage daughter that bugs the light out of them?"

Aw, reading other people's answer made me laugh. I've missed a few days of school lately because I'm sick, so this was very medicinal. : )

((((((((Lark))))))))

Source(s): EDIT 2! I just realized I forgot my favorite young actress from my favorite movie! Olive Hoover from Little Miss Sunshine! Aw, I'd love to have her as a little sister. I imagine her avatar would be...something awesomely quirky and totally her, although I can't think of something that fits exactly right. I'm sure there is though, and I'll have an epiphany soon... : )