98 ford explorer sport power steering problem?

I bought a used, 98 ford explorer sport this past may. It has 131000 miles on it but has run well, and I even drove it across country from Maryland to Kansas. Recently, since it has been cold outside, it has had trouble starting in the cold weather. It will start but the RPMs will immediately start to fall below... show more I bought a used, 98 ford explorer sport this past may. It has 131000 miles on it but has run well, and I even drove it across country from Maryland to Kansas. Recently, since it has been cold outside, it has had trouble starting in the cold weather. It will start but the RPMs will immediately start to fall below 1 and if the engine is not revved it will die. Once I start to drive it and the engine warms up, it is fine. I dismissed this as nothing since it is an older, high mileage car and this issue did not affect how the car drove.

Today, however, I turned it on and the battery light came on, and when I started backing it out of my lot i noticed that I had no power steering. It was almost impossible to steer or turn at all, and a funny smell began coming out of the engine. I shut it off and after trying a few more times with the same result I gave up. It is in the low 30s right now and there is snow on the ground but it has started and run in colder weather than this plenty of times. I am going to call AAA tomorrow but does anyone have any ideas what could be going on?