Why do Christians believe Isaiah 7:14 was a prophecy of Jesus's birth in Matthew 1:23?

Read the scriptures and let me know if Isaiah the prophet was talking to King Ahaz or to Mary 700 years in the future.

Isa 7:1 And it came to pass in the days of Ahaz the son of Jotham, the son of Uzziah, king of Judah, that Rezin the king of Syria, and Pekah the son of Remaliah, king of Israel, went up toward Jerusalem to war against it, but could not prevail against it.

Isa 7:2 And it was told the house of David, saying, Syria is confederate with Ephraim. And his heart was moved, and the heart of his people, as the trees of the wood are moved with the wind.

Isa 7:3 Then said the LORD unto Isaiah, Go forth now to meet Ahaz, thou, and Shearjashub thy son, at the end of the conduit of the upper pool in the highway of the fuller's field;

Isa 7:4 And say unto him, Take heed, and be quiet; fear not, neither be fainthearted for the two tails of these smoking firebrands, for the fierce anger of Rezin with Syria, and of the son of Remaliah.

Isa 7:5 Because Syria, Ephraim, and the son of Remaliah, have taken evil counsel against thee, saying,

Isa 7:6 Let us go up against Judah, and vex it, and let us make a breach therein for us, and set a king in the midst of it, even the son of Tabeal:

Isa 7:7 Thus saith the Lord GOD, It shall not stand, neither shall it come to pass.

Isa 7:8 For the head of Syria is Damascus, and the head of Damascus is Rezin; and within threescore and five years shall Ephraim be broken, that it be not a people.

Isa 7:9 And the head of Ephraim is Samaria, and the head of Samaria is Remaliah's son. If ye will not believe, surely ye shall not be established.

Isa 7:10 Moreover the LORD spake again unto Ahaz, saying,

Isa 7:11 Ask thee a sign of the LORD thy God; ask it either in the depth, or in the height above.

Isa 7:12 But Ahaz said, I will not ask, neither will I tempt the LORD.

Isa 7:13 And he said, Hear ye now, O house of David; Is it a small thing for you to weary men, but will ye weary my God also?

Isa 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold a virgin shall be with child and she shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel

Update:

Thank you, I knew that he was speaking to Ahaz, so if you take out Matthew 1:23 and put it back where it belongs, guess what it was never a virgin birth, but a real birth.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

its quite clear that it was Ahaz being spoken to

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Well - first, I don't know anyone who thinks Isaiah was "talking...to Mary".

Naturally I would suppose - reading this - that the prophecy Isaiah made concerned only the immediate issue being addressed. Notice what that issue was! - Ahaz not daring to ask a sign of God after being requested to do so!

However, we can see why the wording here might have been understood (and clearly it was) to refer to something more significant. Isaiah addresses (prophetically) not only Ahaz but "house of David". That certainly suggests something more time-spanning than the issue immediately at hand!

*Was* Isaiah addressing the issue immediately at hand? Certainly - there is no question. But the words chosen by God and spoken by Isaiah **suggest** that this prophecy had more of a historical significance than **merely** chiding Ahaz for fearing to ask a sign of God. Yes - clearly this sign (v 14) is the sign meant for Ahaz. But there also seems to be more import to the prophecy than merely that - as suggested by the wording.

The so-called dual fulfillment of prophecy (a supposed "lesser" and "greater" fulfillment) is one not restricted to Christianity. Clearly such a philosophy was employed in earliest Christian times. An article addressing this with respect to this passage in particular

http://gts.grace.edu/documents/GTJ/documents/Hinds...

I would like to add, finally, that the best case against dual fulfillment is made by presenting a more exacting translation of the passage

He then said:

. . Listen now, House of David

. . are you not satisfied with trying human patience

. . that you should try my God's patience too?

. . The Lord will give you a sign in any case:

. . It is this: the young woman is with child

. . and will give birth to a son

. . whom she will call Immanuel.

(source: New Jerusalem Bible)

Notice that the present tense is indicated - "the young woman is with child". This is one of the main arguments used by Jews in an attempt to discredit the interpretation found in Matthew. Personally, I don't think it is significant - that is, I think it works for Jesus regardless of tense.

Jim, http://www.bible-reviews.com

• 10 years ago

Messianic Prophecy. Although the Hebrew word bethu‧lah′ means “virgin,” another term (‛al‧mah′) appears at Isaiah 7:14: “Look! The maiden [ha‧‛al‧mah′] herself will actually become pregnant, and she is giving birth to a son, and she will certainly call his name Immanuel.” The word ‛al‧mah′ means “maiden” and can apply to a nonvirgin or a virgin. It is applied to “the maiden” Rebekah before marriage when she was also called “a virgin” (bethu‧lah′). (Ge 24:16, 43) Under divine inspiration, Matthew employed the Greek word par‧the′nos (virgin) when showing that Isaiah 7:14 found final fulfillment in connection with the virgin birth of Jesus, the Messiah. Both Matthew and Luke state clearly that Jesus’ mother Mary was then a virgin who became pregnant through the operation of God’s holy spirit.—Mt 1:18-25; Lu 1:26-35.

• BLW
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

Mat 1:22-23

So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying: "Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel," which is translated, "God with us."

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

I don't see how it could be anything else but-

there is only 1 virgin birth in the Bible.

"...shall call his name Immanuel"

What does Immanuel mean? - "God with us"- Jesus is God in human flesh.

• Sugar
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

because it is fulfilled in Matthew, and Luke.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.