Is Rap intelligent music? Or does it matter?

I'm a musician, having playing drums for 11 years, and guitar for 3. I am experiencing difficulty advancing in guitar. A rap song came on and it made me think, "Should I just give up, get a rhyming dictionary, talk about bitches and hoes and the hood, and just make music on the computer."

Can anybody honestly say that rap is intelligent music?

Do any intelligent people listen to rap seriously?

What is the relationship between intelligence and rap music?

What is the most intelligent genre of music?

Favorite Answer

While certain music may be dumb...the Music itself has no defining of person's IQ....fact is...I could be a genius and my favorite show is Sesame Street....One doesn't define the other in this regard...

Rap has its moments of intelligence...rap has its moments of party....rap has its moments of stupidity....Just like most things....The news is starting to look like a tabloid now....but its said that people who watch the news more than TV series appear to be more intelligent...which is rubbish...

Intelligent people listen to rap seriously...thats how you know they are intelligent...because they are able to tell the difference between the intelligent and the foolish....

Relationship between intelligence and rap music.....diction...wordplay...Literary Devices....i think there is a number of things you can tie together with Intelligence here...Maybe you should ask that question about other forms of music....like Metal....Your answer would be more interesting and less obvious...

There is no most intelligent genre....music doesn't define the person...Simply put....you can listen to Rap and be a very intelligent person...where as you can also listen to Classical...and be a total idiot...its all in the person.

So...maybe you should chill with the assumptions and quit being so narrow-minded....You can't actually think you could hold a point in a argument while basing your logic on a f*cking generalization now do you?

• "A rap song came on and it made me think, "Should I just give up, get a rhyming dictionary, talk about bitches and hoes and the hood, and just make music on the computer.""

So what you're basically saying is that you heard one song out of a massive genre that's been around for 37 years and based all your assumptions of the genre on that one song you heard when you were already in a bad mood?

Yes, rappers can be intelligent. The real question is, are you an intelligent listener? And I think the answer is no, you are not.

I'm not sure how an abstract concept like a genre of music can be intelligent given that it has no neurological abilities in and of itself.

Yes, intelligent people listen to rap. Maybe you should try it: you might learn something.

• B.k.S.

You're obviously a sorry excuse for a musician if the only reason you're learning an instrument is to become rich and famous. And hearing a rap song on the radio makes you depressed about not getting recognition.

You talk about intelligence and rap. Now I don't know what genre of music you're a fan of, but you're making a good case for their listeners being dumb as a bag of rocks.

I really like him. Sure he's not country, but I don't mind him being on country stations or shows. I love his voice... and every says that no one knows what real country is and blah blah blah..but the fact is that everything changes in time, including music. They make music to fit the modern world. Most people I've talked to find 'old' country to be really annoying, so the industry is keeping up with the world instead of sticking with something that doesn't sell. I listen to both 'old country' and 'new country' music and I like them both. People are just too close-minded about things, and they freak out about things that are not a big deal at all... sorry I went off on a rant

your first question sucks. it's like saying whether water tastes good. it tastes good when it's clean and you're thirsty, and it doesn't when it's full of mud. rap is a genre, there is no single "rap" unless you're talking about a single song. Nobody could give a crap about your bitches and hoes in the hood if you have no talent. Obviously these rappers must have some kind of talent if they're making way more money than you are. And if you don't think they have talent, at least give them some credibility for being incredibly smart business men.

Source(s): a musician's personal opinion

Oh you're so clever. If you listen to music to try to convey an air of intelligence amongst your peers then you're nothing more than an elitist, and not even a real elitist. You're the pathetic kind of person who expects some sort of recognition for his "appreciation" towards "intelligent" music. And yes, rock is so well known for being intelligent! That Mick Jagger, boy he's one smart cookie.

And, just for your information, rapper Chino XL is the only musician who is a part of MENSA. Go ahead and Google MENSA.

"Do any intelligent people listen to rap seriously?"

I stopped reading the Q after that. I take AP classes, have scored a 4 on one AP exam, i take college credit classes, and i've already been accepted to my dream school. And rap is my favorite genre. Rockers can be idiots too. Music does not determine how you function on a daily basis.

Real Rap is the most intelligent form of music, youre just too scared and narrow minded to even attempt to look for the real ****...

I've been playing drums for 9 years and piano for 1, and i can tell you that rap music is intelligent music. you're stereotyping makes me want to vomit.

• Anon

Dammit Mac....thats what I was going to use lol.

GOOD Rapping does take alot of talent: (Most of what you hear on the radio isn't that good)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOtKtovmZ98

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-_IFAt8ka0

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtRbEgoTqQs

Youtube thumbnail

^ Id like to see you rhyme with multiple syllables like these guys do

Also listen to Deltron 3030 and tell me thats not intelligent.