J asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicLyrics · 1 decade ago

What can I sing instead of "Jesus Christ, I love you" in King of Carrot Flowers pt 2?

I'm an atheist and a musician, and I love Neutral Milk Hotel, but I always feel uncomfortable when I sing this song, because I feel like I'm praising Jesus. I know that you can interpret "Jesus Christ" as an expression of awe in this case, but it still feels awkward. Preferably not a name, please, I don't worship anyone, not Darwin, or Dawkins, or anyone.

Favorite Answer

I would say your best bet is to not sing then. That, or you can try to overcome the awkward feeling. I, myself, am an agnostic, yet I have absolutely no problem singing a part that has something to do with God and then sing another song right after about "sending us back to Hell". If you like a song, then sing it. If you don't feel OK about singing it, then don't sing it. I am not sure about all Atheists, but the ones I know don't care if they sing a line like that because they are comfortable enough with their belief to do so. Saying "Jesus Christ, I love you" doesn't mean you are praising Jesus. That's like someone being thoroughly annoyed and yelling "Jesus Christ, you're so annoying" or something similar. They are not talking about Jesus of Christianity.

My recommendation is just realize you are not praising him unless you are intending to. You can not truly praise anyone or anything without really meaning to.

You could either stop being afraid of being perceived as a member of an organized religion or pick a different song that you wouldn't have to alter the message of.