Ethan K asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Dog adoption question?

There is a dog up for adoption. He is an 8 yr old Yorkshire terrier. He was raised in a puppy mill, and was rescued. I have requested to adopt him. His feet are very fragile, because he was in a metal crate his whole life. He also had to have 18 teeth removed because they were rotten. I was wondering if I would be a better candidate for adopting the dog. I am 47, I have 2 children, both age 15. I also have a husband that is 54. We have 2 other dogs. A Shih tzu that is 3, almost 4, and another Yorkshire Terrier that is 3 years old. we have a very active lifestyle. The other candidate is a married couple that are 88, and 82. They are retired and have no other dogs. they are very mellow, and for lack of a better word, lazy. I was wondering who you think the shelter will pick to adopt Malcolm, the Yorkshire Terrier.

Greatly appreciated!

Favorite Answer

I personally hope the elderly couple for a couple reasons. Not saying you wouldn't give the dog a great home but since they have no other pets and assuming they would be equally as good as parents they would have the time the dog deserves to devote to spoiling him. Since he comes with so many problems and you lead an active lifestyle the dog might not be able to keep up. Also since you have teenagers they demand a lot of attention as do your other dogs. This poor dog has already endured more in its poor life than any dog should and a nice quiet home where it is the total center of attention would be a nice end for it :)

Glad this dog is having 2 wonderful homes available for it....makes ya appreciate people a little more :)

There is almost always an adoption fee of anywhere from 50 -200 dollars or more in rare cases. The reason is because most shelters run off of these fees and donations and they also have to pay for the expenses of treating the dog if it had an illness and they have to feed it and train it and all of that stuff. Also, a dog that was hit by a car or had a life saving surgery would cost more because of the medical expenses.

It's wonderful that you have decided to adopt a dog that really needs a good home! As far as answering your question about who I think the shelter will pick, I actually think they might go with the older couple. As I haven't met this dog, I am going purely by the information you provided.

I assume that because he has been in a cage his whole life, he is fearful and probably relatively unsocialized. That makes me think that he would be better in a home that has less chaos than a home like yours with teenagers and other dogs. Also, because of his health issues, he might be better off with a couple that has more time, like the older couple, to manage his healthcare.

With all that said, I think you do have the advantage in that you are younger and more active. Small dogs can live a very long time (20 years!!) and because the couple in already in their 80s and the dog is only 8, you could provide a more stable, lasting and forever home.

Either way, this dog is so very fortunate that he has not one but two homes that want him. Best of luck to you and Malcolm!

Both your family and the elder couple have pros and cons.

Without actually knowing the dog it is impossible to tell who the shelter will pick. I love the idea of an older retired couple adopting an older dog. Especially one who has had teeth removed and foot problems. You have a busy household. 2 dogs 2 children, might be a bit overwhelming for an older dog. I see problems with the dog trying to get on with your two dogs as he doesn't have his teeth, most likely lacks confidence being a puppy mill product and has foot problems

Depending on the energy level of the dog, a nice quiet retired home may be just what it needs.

I work for a shelter and do adoptions. Sorry but I would pick the older couple.Not because you are not good pet owners but because the dog needs special attention that with your active lifestyle might not be able to give. This dog has had a tough life and now needs a nice quiet home. This dog will never be normal it will never be able to keep up with your active home life.Sounds like this dog needs a lazy life. It deserves it.

Pros and cons either way. The fact that they have a no other dogs can be helpful for them. However, as long as you acquaint your dogs to the new dog, the companionship of other pets will make a good home. Offer to bring in your dogs to the rescue to see if they all get along. If they do, that can be the turning point. Also, your age is definitely a good factor.

Thanks for caring about about a neglected animal. You are a good person.

• ?

This dog you are trying to adopt is not suitable for a 'very active lifestyle.' Your heart is certainly in the right place but I am going to guess the elderly couple. Often dogs from puppy mills are extremely fearful and often don't live as long.

I see this particular situation the better home for the animal is the lazy seniors.

At 82 & 88, they are hardly lazy! You should be so lucky to still be living on your own without assistance at their age.

The shelter will look out for the best interests of the dog. That will include fenced yard, etc. but they will take into account exercise, obedience, health care, etc. I really can't guess who will be the successful applicant.

• di

You haven't given quite enough information. With an animal that is delicate I think a lazy lifestyle would be better. Sorry.

Wouldn't it be something if the shelter posted this question...just to see what the public thinks.