Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Why do many Christians not believe?

in what the bible says about the dead? it says they know no more and that they are asleep until resurrection and judgment. there are no spirits of the dead walking around. there are no zombies and no souls ascending into heaven.

when the dead awake they will be standing before the lord. that's all they will know, the next thing they will know according to scripture. why do christians teach other things besides this? is it to appease themselves about death?

Favorite Answer

Col. 3:2: Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth.

Heb. 11:16: But as it is, they [Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Sarah, etc.] desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God; for He has prepared a city for them.

John 14:2-3: "In My Father's house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also.”

2 Cor. 12:2-4: I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago—whether in the body I do not know, or out of the body I do not know, God knows—such a man was caught up to the third heaven. And I know how such a man—whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, God knows—was caught up into Paradise and heard inexpressible words, which a man is not permitted to speak.

Acts 7:59: They went on stoning Stephen as he called on {the Lord} and said, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit!"

2 Cor. 5:6-8: Therefore, being always of good courage, and knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord-- for we walk by faith, not by sight— we are of good courage, I say, and prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord.

Phil. 1:22-23: But if I am to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which to choose. But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better.

2 Pet. 1:13-14: I consider it right, as long as I am in this earthly dwelling, to stir you up by way of reminder, knowing that the laying aside of my earthly dwelling is imminent, as also our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me.

1 Thes. 4:17: Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord.

Phil. 3:20: For our citizenship is in heaven, from which also we eagerly wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ;

Col. 1:5: because of the hope laid up for you in heaven, of which you previously heard in the word of truth, the gospel

1 Pet. 1:4: to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you,

2 Tim. 4: 18: The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed, and will bring me safely to His heavenly kingdom; to Him {be} the glory forever and ever. Amen.

“Verb, 2837, koimaomai

is used of natural "sleep," Matt. 28:13; Luke 22:45; John 11:12; Acts 12:6; of the death of the body, but only of such as are Christ's; yet never of Christ Himself, though He is "the firstfruits of them that have fallen asleep," 1 Cor. 15:20; of saints who departed before Christ came, Matt. 27:52; Acts 13:36; of Lazarus, while Christ was yet upon the earth, John 11:11; of believers since the Ascension, 1 Thess. 4:13-15; Acts 7:60; 1 Cor. 7:39; 11:30; 15:6,18,51; 2 Pet. 3:4.

Note: This metaphorical use of the word sleep is appropriate, because of the similarity in appearance between a sleeping body and a dead body; restfulness and peace normally characterize both. The object of the metaphor is to suggest that, as the sleeper does not cease to exist while his body sleeps, so the dead person continues to exist despite his absence from the region in which those who remain can communicate with him, and that, as sleep is known to be temporary, so the death of the body will be found to be…

That the body alone is in view in this metaphor is evident, (a) from the derivation of the word koimaomai, from keimai, to lie down (cp. anastasis, resurrection, from ana, 'up,' and histemi, to cause to stand); cp. Isa. 14:8, where for 'laid down,' the Sept. has 'fallen asleep;' (b) from the fact that in the NT the word resurrection is used of the body alone; (c) from Dan. 12:2, where the physically dead are described as 'them that sleep (Sept. katheudo, as at 1 Thess. 5:6) in the dust of the earth,' language inapplicable to the spiritual part of man; moreover, when the body returns whence it came, Gen. 3:19, the spirit returns to God who gave it, Eccl. 12:7.

"When the physical frame of the Christian (the earthly house of our tabernacle, 2 Cor. 5:1) is dissolved and returns to the dust, the spiritual part of his highly complex being, the seat of personality, departs to be with Christ, Phil. 1:23. And since that state in which the believer, absent from the body, is at home with the Lord, 2 Cor. 5:6-9, is described as 'very far better' than the present state of joy in communion with God and of happy activity in His service, everywhere reflected in Paul's writings, it is evident the word 'sleep,' where applied to the departed Christians, is not intended to convey the idea that the spirit is unconscious.” (Vine’s Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words).

Greetings:

You make a mistake that's common in the JW movement;(don't know if your JW or not) and that is to quote an out-of-context interpretation of a subject (this subject is on death) NOT seeing all the scriptures in the Bible on that same subject. For your consideration; here are some more passages in the Bible on the issue of what happens after death:

1) The physical body goes into the grave where: ...."there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest." Ecc. 9:10. "Or ever the silver cord be loosed ,or the golden bowl be broken, or the pitcher be broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern. Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was..." Ecc. 12:6-7.

2) The spirit on the other hand: "...Shall return unto God who gave it" (for those that are saved) Ecc. 12:7. Goes with ""Who knoweth the spirit of a man that goeth upward..." Ecc. 3:21. And no one has "power over the spirit to retain the spirit." Ecc. 8:8. This goes with 2Cor. 5:8 "To be absent from the body, is to be present with the Lord." So, we have the "saved spirits" that go to heaven when their physical bodies die, and we have the "unsaved spirits" that go to the prison (i.e., hell, the pit, nether parts of the earth, lower parts of the earth, etc.) when they die. "By which also he want and preached unto the spirits in prison." IPet. 3:19. Since the dead are only separated from their physical bodies awaiting the resurrection, they are quite conscious in the separated state either in heaven or in hell. (see Luke 16:19-31) The "dead" are judged in Rev.20:12 in a conscious state. John has a conversation with a departed saint in Rev. 22:9 who calls himself a "fellow servant, and of his brethren the prophets." Again CONSCIOUS and before the first resurrection.

3) Souls: "Under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held." Rev. 6:9 Notice these disembody souls were CONSCIOUS, talking; asking a question; getting an answer; and this is before the first resurrection.

The teachings of the Bible are clear: Physical death does not put the departed soul and spirit into a state of complete unconsciousness. But quite the contrary. The word "asleep" then, is literal concerning the physical body; and purely figurative when referring to the soul and spirit.

For the JW under the teachings of the WT; the confusion may come from the misinterpretation of IThess. 5:23 on the triune nature of humanity. The belief we are made up of only one aspect of 5:23, can lead to the misunderstanding of who we really are. Eternal beings walking around in temporal clay tents we call "bodies." "I am a soul, I have a spirit, and I live in a body,"------- Kenneth Hagan.

• When you ask why Christians teach other things, what "other things" are you talking about? I've never heard any Christian teaching anything about zombies or spirits strolling to and fro. As for souls ascending into heaven, is there *really* a difference between doing that and sleeping for, say, a million earth-years before going there?

Hi Esther. If one doesn't know anything between the grave and the judgment, then isn't that the same as going directly into the Lord's presence?

First, you assume too much.... that the bible we have today, is indeed what the OT was with the Tribe of Israel. It is nothing at all the same. The Judiac Talmud shows a god even more vicious than the one of the OT. Christians usually don't know that, and those who do, and the ministers who do, gloss it aaaallllll over.

You forget something----The printing press wasn't even around until the late 1400's. The Tribe of Israel, and its folk lore thus was an oral tradition until some of it was written down.... say starting 600 bce, and from that point on, miscopied continuously for almost 1000. With the printing press, people now had a reason to learn to read, and did so.... to a sanitized bible.

In the mean time, some of the really nasty stuff never made it into the bible... like the genesis story. Adam created by god, and mated with animals until all the animals were named. Then and only then did god see fit to create Eve for this poor schmuck.

You can get a copy, likely at some synagog, and read this in Yebamoth 63a.

Sooooo, what Christians believe in is a cleaned up, sanitized version of a set of folk lore and fairy tales that would be acceptable to them........more or less.........sometime after 1490, and then more or less again standardized with the KJV of 1612ce.

Little of what they read in any bible today, is anything at all of the original stories of the bible....which as you likely know, comes from the Jews.

Do you see that the question you ask, really doesn't even address the problem?

Source(s): Grad classes in religion

"For the living know that they shall die;but the dead know not anything

neither have they any more a reward;for the memory of them is forgotten."(Ecc9:5)

"Also their love,and their hatred,and their envy are now perished;neither

have they any more a portion forever in anything that is done under the sun"(Ecc9:6)

That was before Jesus' death,burial and resurrection. Now since then, Paul told the

believers "Therefore,we are always confident,knowing that,while we are at home in the

body, we are absent from the Lord."(2Cor5:6)

"We are confident,I say,and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be

present with the Lord"(2Cor5:8)

"For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." (Phil 1:21)

"For I am in a strait between two,having a desire to depart and to be with Christ,

which is far better."(Phil 1:23)

So when a believer dies he goes to be with Jesus right away.(present with the Lord)

Non-believers go straight to hell to await judgement.

What scriptures are you going by?

Source(s): bible

Christianity is older than the standard New Testament... You need to study the origins of the Bible... Tradition counts too not just the Bible.

Because they cannot think that God's kingdom and His lake of fire are not the destiny of the Earth. The sleeping dead are those who know not truth, this is the first death, and the physical is the second death.

Source(s): entrybytroops.org

If the people in their present situation and mode of dealing in this city, to say nothing of those out of the city, all go to work now and have meetings and call upon God to get the spirit of reformation, but sing and pray about doing right without doing it, instead of singing themselves away to "everlasting bliss," they will sing and pray themselves into hell, shouting hallelujah. You cannot be saved by any other principle than that of the holy Gospel; and if you live in the neglect of the performance of the duties that you know are required at your hands, if you do not walk uprightly before God and your brethren, if you do not deal justly with one another, if you do not walk in honesty and soberness with one another, your faith is vain and your reformation is vain. You must repent of your evil deeds and first of all morally reform yourselves, before you can ask God for His Spirit to reform and enlighten your spirits. This is my doctrine and philosophy; were it not, I would say, let those who steal, steal on; and you that are in the habit of swearing, swear away; and you that have been in the habit of taking advantage of each other, cheat away; and those who lie, lie away; and you that trespass upon your brother, trespass away; and so continue, Christian like, only be sure, just as you are going to die, to look out and not have death catch you asleep, that when it comes you may be awake enough just to repent of all your sins and turn to God, and then you will be as fit subjects for heaven as powder would be for a burning dwelling.

Yes basically it IS to appease themselves about death. All cultures believe in some form of path to an afterlife. We were meant to live forever. The bible says of God, that "he has put eternity into the hearts of man". It goes against our very nature to think about our non-existence.

Could not have put it better than Peacelily who has quoted God's holy word of truth to you!!! Where are YOUR scriptures to back up what you believe?

• Esther

The bible also teaches to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. That says to me a believer immediately goes to the presence of Jesus upon death.

I understand your question, but....there you go.