Scarlet asked in SportsOlympics · 1 decade ago

Why Do South Koreans Hate Apollo Anton Ohno?

I understand there is a bit of a rivalry, but why do they think he does not deserve his metals? It's not like figure skating where things can be skewed, and there isn't really a controversial judging method.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

it started at the Salt Lake City Winter Olympics. during the 1500-meter final race, a Korean finished first followed by Apolo. but the Korean got disqualified for blocking, so they gave the gold to Apolo. that's when the Koreans started hating on Apolo, saying he stole that gold from them. then after the same race for this Olympics, Lee Jung-Su made a comment that Apolo shouldn't have won silver because he got mad when Apolo asked to disqualify Lee Jung-Su for pushing him. it's true though, the Korean skaters' arms were all over the place, pushing other skaters. and Lee Jung-Su also didn't like it when Apolo won silver just because one of the Koreans made a pass which made him crash along with another Korean, advancing Apolo to 2nd.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

It isn't anything about yesterday's play. NONONONONONONONONO WRONG WRONG WRONG. Please read this. I'm a Korean and I know why we hate Ohno so much. First of all, it is nothing about yesterday's race. In 2002 Olympic, a Korean skater was winning when Ohno was in 2nd place and almost at the end, Ohno and Korean skater had a slight contact, and Ohno showed a over reaction. Because of that judges disqualified the Korean skater. Think about it, if your a Korean, would you be happy? And yesterday when Ohno got 2nd place, he had an interview and said "I wish the Korean skater got disqualified again". Well, it made me mad, it made everyone in Korea mad. Ice skating is a one thing Korea is really good at, and last Olympic, our skater was disqualified in some point because of Ohno, and now he's saying that he wish the Korean skater got disqualified, again. And one more thing, after Korean skater got the first place he had an interview. He said that Ohno scuffled, but judges couldn't see it so it wasn't foul. I wish I made my point clearly. . . AND REALLY IT ISNT ABOUT YESTERDAYS RACE.

• 1 decade ago

"Ohno hung behind the pack for most of the race before zooming to the front late in the race. Heading into the penultimate turn, South Korea's Kim Dong-Sung cut in front of Ohno, causing the American to come up out of his crouch and throw his arms up before resuming skating. Kim stayed ahead of Ohno as they crossed the finish line but the American pumped his fist, confident that Kim would be disqualified for interference. The South Korean was indeed disqualified, causing him to throw down his country's flag in disgust. Ohno skated to the center of the rink and kissed the ice as the Salt Lake Ice Center crowd roared. Members of the South Korean delegation were outraged at the call, and others, including fourth-place finisher Fabio Carta of Italy, said there was no infraction. China's Li Jiajun won silver and Canada's Marc Gagnon took the bronze."

If you study the race, the judges made the wrong call. Even Fabio Carta who was in the race agrees.

So why do Koreans hate Apollo Ohno? Simple. He's a cry baby! The rest of the world except America knows that the S. Koreans have and continue to dominate the sport. Americans have a difficult time dealing with the fact that they don't dominate everything.

One thing if for certain though, the good ole US of A is great at dominating other countries for no 'just' reason. History shows that there has been no country in the past century that has gone to war or have had "conflicts" more than the US.

Sidenote: Koreans also dominate in ACT and SAT scores.

• 1 decade ago

1.) Started 8 years back in the 2002 Winter Olympics. S.Koreans claimed that he stole the gold because their skater, Kim Dong-Sung, finished first but was disqualified for blocking because Ohno raised his hands up as if he was calling for a foul.

2.) Because he's half Japanese. Japan and Korea have had vicious rivalries with each other since 1910 when Korea was under Japanese rule for 35 years (1945) which was when WWII ended. Til today, Korea are still bitter about it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

SK has a lot of pride and makes the skaters extremely competitive. However, being extremely competitive can cause cause mistakes. The two SK skaters that recently crashed into each other, and in Salt Lake City, the SK skater who lost the gold to Ohno after illegally blocking. It's hard not to be bitter about losing to small things and waiting 4 years to get another chance. But in short track, every small mistake counts.

Ohno recently said that he has a great relationship with the SK skaters that is not shown on cameras, but drama brings in ratings.

• tommi
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Apollo Skater

• 1 decade ago

Actually, I don't think they hate him as you think they do. It was just that his attitude sometimes got on their nerves but I think it's not like before. I heard a lot of Korean people saying Ohno's also a great skater and should be respected for his hard work. It seems like it's American who hate Korean skaters more lately.

Also I highly doubt it was from a jealousy of American skater like some of people think(that's very arrogant and funny). Koreans always win, why would they be jealous.

• 1 decade ago

because ohno grabbed some of the Korean skaters last time

NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND like some people are saying...

And south koreans set a high goal for themselves it's not a bad thing

they're just disappointedd that they lost the gold last time

but i think anyone would be disappointed in themselves if they lost

now that the Koreans received the gold and silver, people are just hating on south koreans calling them short legged and unproportional. adults are supposed to act like adults when actually they don't realize that they are acting like children

be happy for the olympians & get a life racist haters !

• 1 decade ago

The wording of your question proves your ignorance.

Judging is as much a part of the Short Track as the time.

The race is not over until the final results are posted.

• 1 decade ago

in usa....... Apollo Anton = USA hero. haha. :)

in korea Apollo Anton = cheater, snaaaake, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Source(s): korean
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.