promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Allyson asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

What are really small portions for weight loss?

I want to lose about 20 lbs. I don't mean to be racist or anything but I heard that most Asains stay thin cuz they have super small portions. So I was wondering, what are correct portions to lose weight?

43 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Eating in small portions is very important for attaining success in weight loss. The portion sizes of our diet are usually very high and they are quiet bigger than they were used to be a few decades ago. All of us have a tendency of eating more in case we are having our favorite dishes but by doing so we are increasing the calorie content inn our diet. High calorie intake is one of the main reasons for increase in weight. If we want to control our increased weight then we are required to cut down the size of our meals.

You should remember that it is always better to reduce the size of your meals then depriving yourself of your favorite foods. In case you deprive yourself from your favorite foods or starve your body then you will give up your weight loss program after some time. But by controlling the portions of your diet will enable you to enjoy your favorite food seven if you are on diet.

The digestive system of our body works in its best in case it s getting in case it is getting only small amount of the energy that we get from our food and the nutritional content of our food. In case you eat more food then the requirement of your body at any specific time then your body will store the excess calories as fats in your body as fat cells. However it does not matter in case you consume less energy as required by your body. You can think that in case you will eat less then the extra fat content of your body will be burned but there is no guarantee for it. There are certain situations in which the body requires some carbohydrates and in such situation the body burns the blood sugar, muscle proteins or glycogen rather than the excess fat cells. Burning fats comes at the last place in the hierarchy of oxidative process. It is due to these reasons that it is always an unwise decision to starve your body for the purpose of weight loss.

In achieving the target of weight loss, eating in smaller portions certainly helps. It provides the body the required protein content and it also helps in maintaining the muscle tissues. More muscle tissues are very important for high metabolic rate of our body and it in turns support higher fat burning potential of the body.

There is one more benefit of eating in smaller portions and that is that you will not have the feeling of full and drained just like you feel after having big meals. You will not like to move after eating too much but this is not the case when you eat in small portions. You will not feel lazy and sleepy after having a controlled meal.

There are many ways by which you can control the size of your meals, Such as you can drink one big glass of water before your meal. You should use a small plate for your meal. In this way you will have less food in your plate and it will also help you in avoiding excess food.

Source(s): Good Luck !!
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Portion sizes vary greatly for different people....and that's usually due to their metabolism.

Some people have high metabolisms, and others have low metabolisms. A high metabolism means your body will process energy at a faster rate, instead of storing it as fat.

This is why starving yourself is never a good weight loss plan. In fact, starving yourself will make you gain weight, because your body starts to conserve the food that you do eat, since it has learned that you are not getting very much food in the first place.

Unfortunately, there is no way for me to recommend a correct portion size speicifcally for you, but I can at least suggest something to get you started.

First off, you should be eating 5-6 meals per day, spaced out every few hours. The portion sizes should be in the range of a small to medium sized salad. A small health bar is not a big enough portion, but a hamburger is too big.

Personally, I eat a 6 inch Subway sandwich for 2 meals in my day, and another meal will be a small salad.

Basically, they just need to be a "bite to eat". Nothing too big, but nothing insignificant either.

I hope this helps! I know it works for me, so you should be able to use it too.

Good luck!

• 1 decade ago

Portion Distortion-

Cookies as big as frisbees. Muffins the size of flower pots. Bowls of pasta so deep, your fork can barely find the bottom. One reason people's waistlines have expanded over the past few decades is because food portions have too.

People today eat way more than they used to — and way more than they need to. This means that they're constantly taking in more calories than their bodies can burn. Unfortunately, lots of us don't realize that we're eating too much because we've become so used to seeing (and eating!) large portions.

Portion sizes began to increase in the 1980s and have been ballooning ever since. Take bagels, for example: 20 years ago, the average bagel had a 3-inch diameter and 140 calories. Today, bagels have a 6-inch diameter and 350 calories. One bagel that size actually contains half a person's recommended number of grain servings for an entire day!

The price of such overabundance is high. It's common knowledge that people who consistently overeat are likely to become overweight. But they also risk getting a number of medical problems, including high blood pressure, high cholesterol, type 2 diabetes, bone and joint problems, breathing and sleeping problems, and even depression. Later in life, people who overeat are at greater risk for heart disease, heart failure, and stroke.

It's easy to understand why the food industry tends to serve way more food than is necessary: Customers love to feel like they're getting the best value for their money! But the value meal is no deal when it triples our calories and sets the stage for health problems.

Thank you for listening and I hope that you can use some of this information.

• Erika
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

i made up my ideas the e-e book to be very informative and available to study. i've got lost 17 pounds in 12 days, i'm in simple terms in touch that i'm dropping too much weight, too briskly. i'm going to confess I certainly have not accompanied the representative precisely. i'm no longer sticking completely to the listed foodstuff and meal plans (regardless of the undeniable fact that extra often than no longer) and doing little or no undertaking, regardless of the undeniable fact that the burden maintains flying off. It needless to say works and if i could accompanied it precisely i think it could scare the living daylights out of me thinking the actuality that of the quantity that i could lose. So thank you as quickly as extra for the certainty. i've got in no way offered some thing like this in simple terms before thinking the actuality that they are regularly crammed with trash, regardless of the undeniable fact that 3WD has been an incredible marvel. Get began at present!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The key for losing weight is not difficult - eat less and exercise more - the problems arise when we actually try to put that into operation! There are loads of stumbling blocks out there aren't there?! I discovered some good help by checking out the web portal in the box below, they have loads of tips and tricks, I shed 6 pounds by following their helpful advice.

Source(s): medint.slimmingdietsite.info
  • 1 decade ago

The correct portions can be arrived at by dividing your regular diet qty into 8 portions, be cautious on fat free diet and more of fibre rich food.

Source(s): my experince in losing 12 kg in 6 months and 5 " waist line .
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i'm not asian, but i have lost 15 lbs on nutrisystem (i am 5'0 and my starting weight was 105 so i only had a little weight to lose) but they pre-portion their meals for optimum weight loss; their portions are:

breakfast: between 120 and 170 calories, with 4g-7g of protein

snack: between 110-140 calories, with 5g-10g of protein

lunch: between 120 and 200 calories, with 10g-15g protein

snack: between 110-140 calories, with 5g-10g of protein

dinner: between 190-230 calories with 17g-25g of protein

as you can see, the main thing is to incorporate protein in your diet in a low calorie way by eating foods like plain grilled chicken, shrimp and canned tuna as well as low calorie carbs like vegetables and fruits. but to be honest, the easiest thing is to just order nutrisystem because there is no counting or going to the grocery store 3 times a week because your meat and veggies go bad. its quick and easy foods that taste good and keep you full because they are rich in protein and fiber. you can order it online, i recommend ordering al la carte because you can pick and choose the things you want to order and its less expensive.

• 3 years ago

Try yoga to lose weight

• 5 years ago

Do 45 minutes cardio workouts a few times a week

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If you have difficulties with weight do what I did - try colon cleanse. If you wish to lose weight its qualities help lots - however those same qualities in addition help those who are trying to bulk up. Magic! There is a free trial going on at the moment at http://sinelt.hotbodydiet.info , give it a try, how worse could it make things?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.