How many Shamu's have there been?

I was just wondering how many Shamu's there were through the years. Wikipeda said that numerous wales use the name. I am going to Sea World soon, and just wanted to know if this one was the 5th or 25th one. I saw the original one in the late 60s. I think the last time I was there was in the 70s. if anyone knows that would be great. Thanks

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There has only been one official Shamu throughout Sea World's history. Shamu was captured in 1965 in Puget Sound and moved to an aquarium and later moved to Sea World San Diego in late 1965. She performed from 1965-1971 when she attacked a trainer, and then died in August of 1971. Sea World calls the orcas performing in the show Shamu, Namu, Ramu, and Baby Shamu all though all of the orcas have individual names. Over the years, Sea World has owned a total of 28 orcas in total. So the next Shamu you see could be any of the whales currently at the Sea World Park you visit.

A complete list of every orca that Sea World parks have ever had in captivity:

1) Corky - Sea World California

2) Katina - Sea World Florida

3) Kasatka - Sea World California

4) Ulises - Sea World California

5) Tillikum - Sea World Florida

6) Bingo - Sea World Japan

7) Kalina - Sea World Florida

8) Stella - Sea World Japan

9) Oscar - Sea World Japan

10) Orkid - Sea World Californai

11) Kayla - Sea World Florida

12) Taima - Sea World Florida

13) Takara - Sea World Texas

14) Kyuquet - Sea World Texas

15) Keet - Sea World Texas

16) Unna - Sea World Texas

17) Lovey - Sea World Japan

18) Sumar - Sea World California

19) Tuar - Sea World Texas

20) Lara - Sea World Japan

21) Nakai - Sea World California

22) Kalia - Sea World California

23) Trua - Sea World Florida

24) Ran II - Sea World Japan

25) Nalani - Sea World Florida

26) Malia - Sea World Florida

27) Earth - Sea World Japan

28) Takara's calf (not sure of the name) - Sea World Texas

The orcas currently at Sea World San Diego are: Corky, Kasatka, Ulises, Orkid, Sumar, Nakai, and Kalia

The orcas currently at Sea World Florida are: Katina, Kalina, Tilikum, Taima, Kayla, Trua, Nalani, and Malia

The orcas currently at Sea World Texas are: Takara, Takara's Calf, Kyuquot, Keet, Unna, and Tuar

The orcas currently at Sea World Japan are: Bingo, Oscar, Stella, Lovey, Lara, Ran II and Earth

Source(s): Sea World San Diego Annual Pass Holder and ocean life enthusiast.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • aidt
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Shamu Family Tree

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

There are plenty of passions to follow in San Diego and this hotelbye is the spot to begin discovers what San Diego needs to offer. In the San Diego holiday you will step external of your rut and you will investigate new activities while you are here and you could just find that finding a brand new search is definitely an adventure in itself. Among the places must see from San Diego is Balboa Park. That park has over a 1400 acre and here you will find old buildings, numerous museums, gardens, and natural space. The park was made for the Panama California Exhibition of 1915-1916. The main structure is Spanish-Mexican design, minimal level houses that blend in with the organic surroundings. Among the shows of the park would be the Botanical Gardens and lily lake, the Museum of Man, the Museum of Natural History, the San Diego Museum of Art, and the popular San Diego Zoo. Even if you never enter a building the park is merely an attractive place.

• 1 decade ago

In '87 I went to Sea World in Fla and saw Shamu(19th). Then in '94 I went to the Sea World in San Diego And Saw Shamu but i dont remember what # he was.Im sure they would tell u if u ask.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Too many. We must stop supporting these cruel practices, once people stop supporting Sea World, they will go out of business and less animals will be hurt.

• 6 years ago

i dont think they capture them anymore thats probably illeagel i think they are born in captivity

ALSO KALIA IS MY BFFS NAME OMG

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.