Ramadan: Anyone else familiar with this?

I've noticed that amongst the elderly generation of my family there is a sort of *tradition* (?), where upon the wife never utters the husband's name. My parents do not practice this, however both of my grandmothers till this day have not directly called their husband's with their names. I know many... show more I've noticed that amongst the elderly generation of my family there is a sort of *tradition* (?), where upon the wife never utters the husband's name. My parents do not practice this, however both of my grandmothers till this day have not directly called their husband's with their names. I know many elderly people in my family who still uphold this *tradition*.

My grandmothers either call with "Are you listening..." or refer to their husbands, when talking to others as "Your brother..." They say it is a sign of respect.

Anyone else familiar with this and are there other reasons for this? :)

Asalaamu Alaikum.
Update: LOL Hanifa & Qaffash - Along the lines lolol :P
Update 2: Momo - What they are saying is either Punjabi/Hindi/Urdu... I'm not sure lol, I just understand bits and pieces, whereas my grandparents speak Gujarati with each other :)