Ranger4402 asked in SportsOlympics · 1 decade ago

Can Any of Us Go Country Shopping?

The female Ice Dancer from Georgia is not from Georgia. She as born in Michigan and has never lived in Georgia. Thanks to her family ancestry, she is skating for Georgia; a nation she has never set foot in.

The Japanese Ice Dancing team was at least born in Japan. But they grew up in the U.S. Their dad is American born and their mom was born in Japan.

The woman slalom skier competing for Armenia was born in the U.S. She's lived here her entire life. Thanks to her parents ancestry, she is competing for Armenia. Her parents are ethnic Armenian. But, they were born in Iran.

We all know about that mogul skier competing for Australia. Never mind he was born and bred in Canada.

So, can any of us go Country Shopping and find a team to join? Obviously world class talent is not necessary. I guess a nation with a lot of money and a shortage of athletic talent can buy off talented athletes all over the world, give them citizenship and go to the Games and win big?

If I were Lindsey Vonn or Apolo Ohno or Shani Davis, then I'd shop my talent all over the world and see who has the biggest bag of money to hand over. Loyalty to your real nation doesn't matter in the Olympics. Spitting on the flag of the nation that gave you a home of your own doesn't seem to matter either.

I thought the Olympics were about each country putting up the best it has to offer. I'd rather see the best born and bred ice dancers from Japan or Kuwait or the Bahamas skate the worst programs ever than to see "imported" ice dancers who have never set foot in the nations they claim to proudly represent.

Favorite Answer

Qatar and Bahrain already do exactly what you talk about. They've bribed several east African athletes to take their citizenship.

Apart from cases like that, I really don't see the problem. Most of the people you mention have one thing in common, they wouldn't be good enough to make it into the American team. So if they're good enough to make the Olympics but not good enough to make it as part of the US team can you really blame them for taking advantage of their heritage to actually have a chance at competing?

As for Dale Begg-Smith, the moguls skier, he switched as a teenager because the Canadian ski program conflicted with business interests he was trying to develop. Then there's people like Fiona May, a British long jumper who married an Italian, got Italian citizenship and competed for Italy. Seems like betrayal, but when you consider that the British athletics association did bugger all to help her and the Italians were willing to why shouldn't she switch?

• emmery

Some nations permit you to transform and a few do not. It is referred to as a financial institution switch. There will as a rule be a rate, how a lot ??. Ir it's allowed, your buddy tells his banker how a lot he wishes to switch, the financial institution assessments the alternate fee and his account and makes the switch at the global banking process. It is going instantly into your account in this finish. It all will depend on if his executive enables conversion in their cash into a different nations cash.

Thanks for your excellent rant. I agree completely. I was very surprised to see how many athletes were representing countries that weren't their own -- and puzzled. It seems to blow the whole point of the games.

##