Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 1 decade ago

A question about PTC paper and tasting it. Please help!?

I have read that those who are not habituated to drinking tea or coffee have a higher chance of tasting PTC paper. Well, recently I have grown accustomed to drinking tea, and last week my biology class conducted the PTC paper lab. I actually drank tea that morning ( probably 2 hours before we did the lab) and when I tasted the PTC paper, I didn't taste anything. It just tasted like...paper. Lol.

If I didn't drink tea that morning/was not accustomed to drinking tea, do you think I would be able to STRONGLY taste the PTC paper? Does drinking tea really have THAT much of an affect on tasting PTC paper? I would try this lab again without drinking tea to see if I still tasted virtually nothing, but...I don't have any access to PTC paper.

I would appreciate all the answers. Thank you very much!

Favorite Answer

i did the same experiment in my biotechnology class, and my teacher said the tasting of the PTC paper had to do with your genetics. i have never heard about the tea issue, but i dont drink tea or coffee and i also thought the PTC paper tasted like paper. so i do not believe your tea-drinking affected the experiment

Take human error into consideration. Maybe your parents or yourself had eaten something in advance that effected your tasting, or maybe the paper was faulty.