want to take my boyfriend on a trip to visit the area of the d day landings in france but?

can you tell me the best area to stay in. how did you travel there from the uk ? did you hire a car ? all these sort of answers would help me. hes very interested in the second world war.

thx x

Favorite Answer

Oh dear, better explain where the D-Days landing took place. The area Clare is looking for is between Ouistreham (Caen) and Cherbourg. These are areas known as Manche and Calvados.

Now to help Claire as much as possible: Yes you do need to take a car as many of the places of interest do not have very good public transport links. Now where to catch the ferry: Portsmouth is the best place, travel to either Ouistreham or Cherbourg with my friends Brittany Ferries, preferably Ouistreham as you can work your way along the coast westwards. Our suggestion is you stay at Arromanches les Bains, preferably at the Hotel La Marine, which has views over the landing beaches and the remains "Mulberry" harbour. These is also two museums in the town that are well worth a visit. A few kilometres west of Arromanches is Longue-sur-Mer, where you can visit the German gun emplacements and see the remains of some German guns - real big ones.

Note: The proprietor at the hotel will be more than pleased to provide you with maps and other literature to help your visit go smoothly.

If you need any help with your planning contact me by private message.

Source(s): Retired French naval officer. If I did not live 300 kilometres away it would have been a pleasure to act as your guide.

we always take the car and drive, then take the ferry or Eurotunnel. A really good place to stay is a village called 'Wissant'-search for it on the internet if necessary. It's a really nice village with many holiday apartments and houses, a reasonably typical French village with small shops, restaurants and a market on Wednesdays. It's in Nord Pas-de-Calais, but it is essential to have a car if staying there, especially if you want to travel to Dunkerque which is only up the A16. It's also not far from Belgium so easy access to Ypres, and not far to the French region of Somme which is where the British memorial is, after the Battle of the Somme.

I always stay in a small beach town called Bray Dunes when i go over to that area of France. Just near the border of Belgium so handy for tobacco alley too.