How can I clean a Woollen carpet at home without causing any kind of damage?

Its an exquisite beige-coloured Persian carpet (should have gone for darker shade, I know!) with lovely patterns. Can I wash it at home? Will the colour run? What kind of washing agent should be used? If the procedure is too cumbersome then I'll think of giving to professional cleaners! Expert advice... show more Its an exquisite beige-coloured Persian carpet (should have gone for darker shade, I know!) with lovely patterns. Can I wash it at home? Will the colour run? What kind of washing agent should be used? If the procedure is too cumbersome then I'll think of giving to professional cleaners!

Expert advice sought!

Thanks :)
Update: I do use vaccum cleaner, buzzbe, but over a period of time it has got some dirt patches which won't go! @ Novice: In my Home Management class I learnt that good mgmt. involves weighing three main options, namely, time, money and effort! I intend to save money by putting in my time and effort. If I... show more I do use vaccum cleaner, buzzbe, but over a period of time it has got some dirt patches which won't go!

@ Novice: In my Home Management class I learnt that good mgmt. involves weighing three main options, namely, time, money and effort! I intend to save money by putting in my time and effort. If I can't expect good results then obviously I'll have to hire professional help :)