United States Democracy failing in the future?

First off, I am a Junior in High School. Today, in my AP US History class, my teacher opened up a brief discussion on how successful Democracy has been. He opened a new possibility that I have never thought of: The United States Democracy failing us in the future. Well, two major Democratic societies are well... show more First off, I am a Junior in High School. Today, in my AP US History class, my teacher opened up a brief discussion on how successful Democracy has been. He opened a new possibility that I have never thought of: The United States Democracy failing us in the future.

Well, two major Democratic societies are well known in history, the Roman Empire and the Greeks. Both existed for a long time but soon after time, they were taken over. Well the United States was about the 12th most powerful nation coming into WW2. Its only until after WW2, roughly 65 years ago, the US emerged as the most powerful nation.

In times of problems happening within a country, someone has been in power for a while. FDR for the Great Depression & WW2, Hitler for Germany, Stalin for the USSR, Mao for China, and etc.

My question to you is an opinion question. Do you think our democracy will fail us? Do you think soon we may not be the most powerful country or we may turn into another form of government? Or the way our government is set up, we will be powerful for a long time.
Update: Okay, Representative Republic, if you wanna be critical.