Where might I find glass gears?

Actual small, clock size gears made of glass or clear plexi?

Favorite Answer

This question brings my experience with glass and my background in mechanical engineering, but my caution sent to a Google search to be sure and it confirmed my feeling:

Real toothed gears that do work made of glass or acrylic in the size used in moderate to small clocks would be the worst possible use of the material for the following reasons.

1. Properly made gears involve a point contact between two curved surfaces. This puts a point compressive force that is the weakest kind of strain for glass (think of chips on the edge of glass from sharp corners of stuff) and is the highest kind of wear for the acrylic.

2. Cutting the tiny curved surfaces would require making them with ultra fine abrasive water cutting or acid etch using integrated circuit techniques, both of which would be very expensive to set up and run.

3. Not cutting the teeth properly would increase the strain making it more likely something would break and would increase friction.

If you ever find any, let me know, I would be fascinated by the process.

In the doors of some modern safes.