promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
hockeyplyr99 asked in SportsOlympics · 1 decade ago

Does anyone else think that the men's figure skating result was bull crap?

I mean seriously, Plushanko lost even though he had a much more difficult and exciting program, not to mention his quad-toe combination. Evan's could have been performed by a junior skater. Should you really win for holding back?

Update:

More than just jumping, people. He outdid him in just about everything.

Update 2:

Wow! More Americans backing Evan! Big surprise. How bout you base it on skill, not nationality? Btw I'm American.

Update 3:

Judges were already being questioned before this. No surprise that they blew another one. Quit using them as an excuse.

25 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Nope I don't agree with you at all, but plenty here do as this question keeps getting asked.

Here's why I don't agree (besides what my eyes told me):

How Lysacek Defeated Plushenko

By ARCHIE TSE

Evan Lysacek beat Yevgeny Plushenko basically by doing a modern program that took advantage of the new judging system.

They had identical “artistic” scores of 82.8.

So the difference came down to the executed elements scores (i.e. the “technical” score).

Plushenko performed an old-school program, more typical of those designed before the new judging system was implemented in 2004. In such an old-school program, skaters load their jumps in the first half of the program.

Under the new scoring system, jumps in the second half receive a 10 percent bonus.

Plushenko did five jumping passes in the first half of his program and only three in the second half.

Lysacek had three jumping passes in the first half and five in the second half.

Lysceck picked up 37.77 points from his jumps in the second half, about 3.5 points of which were the 10 percent bonus.

Plushenko earned only 18.63 points from jumps in the second half, of which about 1.7 was from the 10 percent bonus.

The difference: 3.5 – 1.7 = 1.8 points. That is almost equal to the difference in their total long-program scores, 1.86 points.

http://vancouver2010.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/19/...

Jumps count higher int he second half of the program because the skater is tired then. Makes good sense.

Evan Lysecek out-skated everyone else. He had the grace, balance, power, concentration, artistry, energy and he was smooth as silk. He practiced harder than anyone and it paid off. He richly deserved the gold!!!

##

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Evan's performance was Gold Medal worthy. Holding back? How so? For putting in a jump that since his injury he has been unable to successfully land? His performance was clean, well executed and technically more difficult throughout the duration of the 4 minutes of the program, yes that is right, more technically difficult. Plushenko on the other hand, while brilliant the first minute or so ( mind also the jumps WERE NOT cleanly landed), fumbled around for the last two minutes of his routine throwing kisses to his adoring fans. Sorry anyone who says Plushenko should have won needs to watch the routines again and reevaluate this. One jump landed does not make you an Olympic champion.

• 4 years ago

i'm happy with the outcomes. i'm listening to all the debate, and it might desire to've long previous the two way between Plushenko and Lysacek, however the quad isn't each little thing in parent skating. Plushenko did no longer hit his easily and quite much fell while Lysacek hit his greater cleanly. it somewhat is greater appropriate to do a super sort of triple jumps cleanly than that's to objective a quad and not do it properly. i think of the Russians are whining and desire revenge after the Sale/Pelletier scandal of 2002. i think of Takahashi's score became into honest. Johnny Weir could have placed 4th.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Lysacek and Plushenko both had excellent programs but in the end Lysacek had the better of the two. Perhaps Plushenko did have a more exciting program (although not much better than Evan's) but he made several noticeable mistakes. This is figure skating, not ice hockey. A nearly seamless program will get you a higher score regardless of whether or not you do a quad.

Plushenko's behavior alone makes me not care about his complaints, especially when you consider the fact that he came in second place. Perhaps he could have had some valid points but his behavior is just plain arrogant and then he politicized it by getting Putin involved. That's called sour grapes. The Canadian skater actually had a better program than Plushenko but unfortunately he fell.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Steven
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I watched them both and Lysacek simply skated the better program. Maybe Plushenko beats him 8 out of 10 times but he didn't beat him last night.

For some reason Plushenko thinks he was "entitled" to the gold just because he does a quad, and he was robbed of the gold by the judges. Last time I checked, you still have to go out and earn it and last night Pleshenko didn't earn it.

• 1 decade ago

Every skaters on earth agree with you.

The only people who don't are the Americans who know nothing about figure skating.

• Simba
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I completely agree with Pheemz2. Plushanko knew he didn't do well. If he believed he won the gold he would have been smiling, throwing his hands in the air, yelling...He knew he left the door open. Evan's performance wasn't difficult, but Plushanko wasn't perfect. So you want to reward somebody just for effort, even though it wasn't good? It's the olympics, not little league! It could have gone either way, there wasn't enough of a difference for anybody to be whining.

• 1 decade ago

I think Plushanko should make a bigger stink and cry more, maybe his fans will come up with some more excuses and conspiracy theories why he sucks so bad. Bribing at the Olympics, bahahahhahah, that's a good one. I can't wait to see what's next on the list of excuses.

Man, it takes a real gutless loser to claim bribing after a loss, that's the way Pluscrapo fans roll though, makes me laugh.

• 1 decade ago

Evan put on a better show, little boy. Whining about it stamping your feet won't change reality.

• 1 decade ago

The event was "figure skating," not "jump skating."

There was a lot more to it. Yeah, Plushenko is the best jumper in the world. However, he is not the most graceful skater, and simply isn't much fun to watch, certainly not as much as ... well, everyone else that skated.

But, he has 4 years to work on those other required elements, and see if he can't make them more than "required crap I have to do between jumps."

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.