9buzz
9buzz asked in SportsWinter SportsIce Skating · 10 years ago

Do you think Plushenko should of won?

Do you think Plushenko should of won the gold medal last night?

His performance in my opinion was jaw droppingly amazing.

I have no idea how a human being can do what he did that night.

Favorite Answer

Plushenko deserved the scores he received. He's a one-trick pony with a Quad. Big deal.

The other jumps were underrotated, tilted, or badly landed. His spins were unimaginative and his footwork wasn't as difficult as Lysacek or Takahashi's. Plus, he front-loaded his program with jump after jump. In the last minute of his program, he did nothing but footwork and spins. That's not well-balanced. At least one of his spins was graded a Level 3, which isn't the most difficult level (Level 4) .

Lysacek performed the elements throughout his program and worked the IJS system by saving some big jumps for the 10% bonus after the halfway time mark. By doing his jumps with difficult entrances and in-air positions, Lysacek racked up extra points a little at a time. His spins were all graded as Level 4's, which earned him more points.

Lysacek and Plushenko tied with the same performance grade - Lysacek just outskated Plushenko by doing what he had planned very well. The key to IJS is planning your elements well and completing everything to get positive grades of execution.

Check out the scores at the ISU website: http://www.isuresults.com/results/owg2010/owg10_Me...

Plushenko clearly deserved the gold medal. A lot of people mentioned that Lysasek was "flawless". I am not going to speculate whether it really was the case. However, I must point out that it is much easier to drive flawlessly at 50 MPH than at 100. The same is true here. Lysacek arguably performed flawlessly, but he performed much simpler and more basic routine.

Also, I don't think that Plushenko or anyone else is saying that the mere fact that a skater can do a quad jump will guarantee him the gold medal. Instead, he is saying that a skater who can NOT do such a jump should not even be considered as a candidate for the gold.

Yes. Plushenko should have won. He landed the quad. (In combo, no less). Evan didn't even have the guts to try it. Stojko is right. Figure skating really doesn't deserve to be called a sport. It is not a sport. It is "artistry",(a dance), and does not belong in the Olympics anymore than ballet or jazz does. The only legitimate contest would be a type of top jump contest in which elements (including back flips and difficult flying spins) are attempted and the skater left standing at the end after landing a series of the most difficult is the winner. (Read that quad or quads.) Play rock music in the background not classical, for goodness sake! With this type of system you may actually get young men to join the sport (no more toe prancing and feathers), and an audience to actually watch it, (other than a few teen girls and middle aged ladies.)

I strongly dislike either one of them, were a skating fan for greater than 30 years and they're some of the approximately 15 skaters I can not stand in any respect. But I need to admit that Yagudin used to be bigger than Plushenko, despite the fact that his straightline footwork in "Winter" used to be entirely hyped up (degree one via the brand new laws). Artistically he's a lot bigger than Plushenko, a minimum of he's competent to interpret the track - Plushenko is doing the identical frantic steps with flailing palms at all times, it doesn't matter what type of application he's skating. Well, enthusiasts of each skaters will hate me for that ;-) however I`ve been round lengthy ample and feature obvious a ways bigger guys...

No...he was not quite good enough. 1 quadruple jump does not automatically win you a gold medal. His overall performance was not as good as Lysaceks. Now that he lost, he is being a very poor sport. His complaining and whining about being robbed go against what the Olympics are about. He should just congratulate Evan and shut up.

I don't think that Plushenko should have won. When he landed some of his jumps, he was wobbly. He was good, but not good enough to beat Evan Lysacek <3.

Evan Lysacek's performance was truly jaw dropping :)

Any performance in the Olympics is jaw dropping.

He jumped completely crooked.

Evan deserved it.

plushenko is the real champion...he should def. won and actually he did.

evan lysacek didn't deserve a medal that's why he wont go to sochi, he is a LOSER

NO! did you see evan??? he's AMAZING! sure russian dude landed a quad but did u c his sit spin?!?! plus he has horrible choreography jump,jump,jump, foot work, spiral,spin,spin,spin i HATE him too, so self centered and rude

He was much better than Evan who can't even do a quadruple jump. You can pull off an even cleaner performance than Evan's by doing just doubles or even singles. Does being a wuss qualify you for a medal?