promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
ok asked in SportsOlympics · 1 decade ago

I want a full scale investigation of the judging at the men's figure skating, Plushenko should have won gold?

This is a scar on the Vancouver Olympics, hmmm I hope the canadians are ashamed. One of the best Olympic figure skaters on the planet has had his gold stolen from them. The american didn't do hardly as good a performance, no quad, shaky, too tight, it was all around not at all the same quality as Plushenko, who has been ranked consistently as one of the best Olympic figure skaters on the planet. Do you agree there should be an investigation? This isn't acceptable. Many renound skaters around the world today have called foul.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Simba
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Sure let them do the investigation, but it won't change the results. As I have said over, and over...if Plushenko would have skated clean he would have won the gold, but he didn't. He struggled on several of his jumps and now he's crying foul.

All I hear is about the quad. So what. Plushenko front loaded his program. He didn't do a single jump the last quarter of his program. Now, I give him credit where credit is due. This I'm sure is a strategic move. Why do a jump towards the end when you are tired? Ok, it makes sense, but then why not give credit were credit is due to the other competitors. Lysacek isn't strong on quads so he didn't risk it, just like Plushenko didn't risk doing a jump late.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Fine, have an investigation if that's what the Russians want.

If it finds that Plushenko was indeed robbed he should be given a gold medal too, following the precedent set in the 2002 games with the pairs. If it finds that the judging was fair then Plushenko should be stripped of his silver for grossly unsporting behaviour, banned from any further involvement in the Olympics and Russia should be penalised by being banned from entering figure skaters in the games in Sochi.

It's really simple, in any sport that has any element of judge's/referee's/umpire's opinion you need to learn to accept that sometimes the decisions will go your way sometimes they won't. If you're not willing to accept that then you have no place in the sport.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No I don't agree. I thought Lysacek skated head and shoulders above the rest. Shaky? You've got to be kidding. Every landing was rock solid and twice as graceful.

Here ya go:

How Lysacek Defeated Plushenko

By ARCHIE TSE

Evan Lysacek beat Yevgeny Plushenko basically by doing a modern program that took advantage of the new judging system.

They had identical “artistic” scores of 82.8.

So the difference came down to the executed elements scores (i.e. the “technical” score).

Plushenko performed an old-school program, more typical of those designed before the new judging system was implemented in 2004. In such an old-school program, skaters load their jumps in the first half of the program.

Under the new scoring system, jumps in the second half receive a 10 percent bonus.

Plushenko did five jumping passes in the first half of his program and only three in the second half.

Lysacek had three jumping passes in the first half and five in the second half.

Lysceck picked up 37.77 points from his jumps in the second half, about 3.5 points of which were the 10 percent bonus.

Plushenko earned only 18.63 points from jumps in the second half, of which about 1.7 was from the 10 percent bonus.

The difference: 3.5 – 1.7 = 1.8 points. That is almost equal to the difference in their total long-program scores, 1.86 points.

http://vancouver2010.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/19/...

What the article doesn't say is the reason they're giving jumps higher scores in the second half of a skater's program is because the skater is more tired in the second half, so the jumps are harder then. Makes sense. Anyway, it's not Canada -- this is the way it has been scored since 2004. Plushenko should have known that and planned his program accordingly.

##

• 1 decade ago

Canadians should be ashamed? Not more than americans when the canadians were robbed of their gold medal in the couple routine and lost to the russians. They were then awarded a gold medal with the russians. Americans had nothing to do with it. Canadians had nothing to do with the plushenko/lysacek thing. The judges are so go after them.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

he should have won gold!!!!

he did the bigger jumps, if they are going to call it a sport then they need to give points on physical things not how well you move your arms and head! He deserves that gold. He put way more effort into his routine than Evan to me.)) - you are the true champion! It's just too bad that our so called sport bureaucracy does not have guts to fight for our sportsmen, to protest, to try to prove something. Such a great sportsman like Plushenko should have a huge support system behind his back and not be left on his own. It's a shame to see politics merge with sports n arts anyway, shameful picture!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Did you even watch Plushenko's routine? He was wobbling all over the place! Evan was graceful, artistic and his routine was packed with jumps. Better a flawless triple axle than a shaky quad.

Evan won and he deserved it. Get over it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

My gosh! Plushenko was shaky on his jumps Evan won fair and sqaure who cares evan didnt do a quad pleshenko did and barely landed it. ur just jealous god bye

• 1 decade ago

Plushenko won silver yet he, his fans and his government still find the time to whine about it. How selfish and not sportsman like.

• LOL!! "Blame it on Canada"

Do you have any idea how many Canadians were on the judging panel?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the only conspricacy i see is the people like yourself being a poor sport

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.