K asked in SportsOlympics · 1 decade ago

Why didn't PLushenko win the gold? That was absolutly not fair!?

I am Iranian American and totally impartial. I am not too much into skating as I am 39 male. I don't like to watch the Olympics because it has been become a business.

The only thing I saw was the mens ice skating. I couldn't believe the American won while the Russian was totally superior. The Russian atleast tried and actually completed the quadruple whatever it's called. I liked his saking, it was fast, energetic, risky. The American was slow, even for someone like me who doesn't know anything it seemed boring. I know he is a tall guy and it's harder for him to jump, but his jumps weren't high at all. The Russians' jump were higher, more energetic. He should have gotten the gold, no question about it. I am sure some American business had something to do with this again. Maybe the judges wanted to give Americans a break because our economy is in dump?? I have no clue, but that was the worst judging I have seen in sport. How dare they to reward someone for not taking any risk??? I am disappointed and will never watch this crap again. The judges can go to hell.

Favorite Answer

Evgeni Plushenko was azzraped on the Silver Medal podium by the Olympic Judges last nite !! His skating was flawless, he moves were devine and his costume was exquisite..... How could the judges have been such bullies ????

Elvis Stodgeko said so too so there............

• Simba

That's quite a statement for somebody that doesn't know the sport. I don't know the sport too well either but I’ve watched it enough to know that the rewards are not simply given to the ones that take the risk. The rewards are given when they take a risk AND do it well. Just because Pluchenko didn’t fall doesn't mean it was done well. This is the Olympics, not little league. They don't give out golds for effort alone. Had Pluchenko hit his jumps well he would have won the gold, but he struggled hitting his landings on several of them. Evan Lysacek, on the other hand skated well. It wasn’t as high of a risk, but if he knows he doesn’t do well at quads then it was a strategic move to get some kind of medal. For him to attempt and fall on the quad, probably would have taken him out of medal contention all together. The scores were close and I think it could have gone either way. If you saw Pluchenko after his routine, he knew he didn’t do well. If he thought he had, without a doubt, won the gold he would have been a lot happier. But he knew that it could go either way.

Lysacek's coach was Frank Carroll. He's the Bela Karolyi of figure skating. So he helped Lysacek win gold.

Like Bela Karolyi, he's the one who coaches girls to become an Olympic-class gymnast. So there are a lot of gold medals won in the US women's gymnastics team, both Worlds and Olympics.

I'm Canadian so unbiased as to who won in regards to the American or Russian. The American staked perfect, the Russian had a few shaky landings and wasn't as smooth. His jumps were more difficult but I felt is foot work and skating in between the jumps wasn't quite as good.

Both men were miles ahead of the rest of the competition and both had nearly identical scores. As for the long stake program I felt the American did a slightly better job.

• Ju

Plushenko's routines are always riskier (thus with better starting value), and if he'd skated well, he'd have reclaimed his Torino gold. He didn't though, and Lysacek did. Simple as that. What I had a problem with was Weir ending up in 6th place...not that I think he should have won the gold, but it still seems to me like he should have ended up with a better result...