See Above asked in SportsOlympics · 1 decade ago

Do you think Johnny Weir was underscored in the men's final skate?

I think he deserved silver. Everyone else made multiple errors and fell. How the heck did they get more points than Johnny? GRRrr!

Favorite Answer

Yes, he was underscored IMO. I'm glad Evan won. Frankly, Plushenko didn't impress me -- he seemed... clunky, awkward compared to the others. Quad or no quad, I'd have rated him lower. Weir deserved the bronze.

##

I think Johnny was very deserving of a Bronze medal from this years Olympics. He skated solid programs in the short and the long. He skated clean programs, something that many of the other competitors in the competition cannot say. He was entertaining with his skating and had an artistic flair that I believe was only matched by Takahashi in the short program. Plushenko & Lysachek in particular were both like robots on the ice - no personality at all!

Weir is being underscored and Plushenko and Lysachek are being over scored because of their reputation from competitions before this Olympics. Lysachek is the golden child of figure skating - I have no idea why - and Plushenko is a legend in his own right.

For the "outrageous" person that Weir is, I believe he has shoved his critics a big smack in the face by being so adult about the whole affair and not spewing to the media - something he would be well within his rights to do.

Yes, I totally agree that Weir was underscored for both skates. His jumps were cleanly landed, his programs were beautifully choreographed, the costumes were consistent with the type of music performed to, and most importantly he evoked emotion and left fans wanting more when he finished. I've watched figure skating events for nearly 35 years and I have seen few men that move across the ice the way Weir does. His technique is pure. He is and has always been a very elegant skater. In some ways the new scoring system has leveled the playing field for those that can not perform the high level jumps, but in this case it failed Weir on both nights. It is a sad state of affairs when two clean artistic programs fall behind so many that had flaws in them.

Johnny Weir is so hot!! He was definitely underscored, both for the short program AND the long program. He skated a completely clean and flawless performance both times (except for that one little stumble in the long program, but that was due to a dent a previous skater had left on the ice). He has great artistry and a unique way of skating. He deserves at least a bronze metal, and he's worked so hard! Whether or not he's gay, everyone seems to think so, and that's probably why he got scored down. What a shame...he was the sexiest skater on the ice!

• quatto

thoroughly underscored, it extremely agrivates me that he nonetheless has to administration such prejudice. If he were contained in the more suitable contained in the closet, opportunities are extreme he might want to were truly scored. And to the LiGi or regardless of your call iswho says who're we to guage....of route you probably did not watch each of the preformances, johnny weir made a tiny mistake or maybe Scott Hamilton reported he felt he replaced into scored too low, the crowed agreed by booing on the judges scoring, it really is ridiculous that in 2010 a guy's own existence and orientation impacts the way he's considered as an athlete. Johnny deserved a a lot more suitable score and that i'm appauled by the biased and bigoted reviews of him contemplated of their inacurate scoring of not truly the quick yet lengthy application to boot....He made a lot less flaws in his courses than others who even positioned medal.....unhappy

I would not have given him silver but perhaps 4th. This judging system is ruining Olympic Figure Skating because it has taken the true competitiveness out of this particular sport. I was disappointed with all of the athletes this year except Pleshenko. I feel that he is the only one that came to the games in this sport with the true essence of Olympic spirit -- going for the GOLD and the GLORY!

With the exception of Plushenko and a few others they all played it safe. The others just happened to fall. None of the skaters performed or even tried to perform at their BEST ability. Plushenko refused to water down his program. He was going for the GLORY as well as the GOLD and that is a TRUE Olypmic athlete.

True Olympic champions embrace both and should be rewarded for doing so. Lysacek is capable of and has landed quadruple jumps in competition and did not even attempt such a thing because "it isn't needed." This is obviously true but sad in the face of real competition. He did not skate competitively or to his fullest capabilities, he skated smart and ended up taking GOLD, but no GLORY as far as I am concerned and true Olympic Champions should have both to get any real recognition (my opinion). It definitely makes them more marketable (Look at Shaun White for example. Perfect example of a true Olympic champion).

As much as I love Johnny I felt the same way when he took out his quad. I was sad. He had one planned and did not do it. I loved his overall performance and felt great about it until the judges posted his scores. Good for Scott Hamilton for being brave enough to admit that he feels he was underscored as well on national television.

Did anyone else find it funny at the time that all three commentators were just kind of dumbfounded and didn't know what to say or do until the lady(do not know her name) kind of snapped out of it and immediately went on to defend the judges? Their immediate response(s) only prove that something about the judging of Weir's performance(s) was off base or biased. Scott Hamilton may not be a judge but he has been skating for darn near 40 years and I am sure his expertise is just as accurate.

It is unbelievable that Johnny Weir didn't score higher! How in the world did Stephane Lambiel of Switzerland end up with a higher score? His quads were so shaky and he fell, he was stiff and not as artistic (he did have a great spin, however). And, his short program performance on Feb 16th wasn't better than Weir's.

Weir was memorizing, and his only 'slight' bobble on Thursday was due to a grove in the ice from a previous performer! I don't know what goes on off camera, but do they not 'level' the ice after a performance? Much like wiping the sweat off a basketball court? Ultimately, is style and grace not part of the calculation?

The low scoring of the judges just about ruined the entire event for me. It felt like there was bias intent against him.

Wier was ripped off. Period.

You can make all the excuses in the world and it doesn't explain how a flawless performance landed him behind four (five if you include Plashenko) skaters who made serious mistakes.

Skating is bankrupt and the judges deserve to be flogged for their blatantly obvious bias against Johnny Weir.

Totally underscored! Deserved the bronze. He skated much better than the Japanese guy who won bronze. Johnny didn't fall (the Japanese guy did) and he had one of the most artistic performances. Also, the second half of his performance was packed with jumps. He was ripped off. Just another example of bad figure skating judges and that's the reason i hate watching figure skating.

Most definitely yes. There is no doubt that there is inconsistency in the judging, and it is unfortunate that Johnny received the short end of the stick. He skated a nearly perfect program, yet many other of the skaters received higher scores than him?? That is not right. I think the judges have some kind of prejudice against him... :(

Absolutely. I was appalled when his scores were posted and the reaction of the crowd booing said it all...but he was mature and accepted the results. I think Patrick Chan is adorable, but Johnny Weir simply posted a much stronger performance. Johnny was definitely stronger than the Swiss skater as well! I would have loved to see Johnny medal, but maybe 4th place...the other three skaters were strong as well and they all had very strong short program performances. Johnny was absolutely underscored.