Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 decade ago

What is art, philosophically speaking?

Philosophically speaking.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Art is the process or product of deliberately arranging elements in a way that appeals to the senses or emotions. It encompasses a diverse range of human activities, creations, and modes of expression, including music, literature, film, sculpture, and paintings. The meaning of art is explored in a branch of philosophy known as aesthetics.

http://www.answers.com/topic/art

The classical origin of many of these questions is found in Plato. The dialogues Ion, Symposium, and Phaedrus are centrally concerned with the place of beauty in the order of things, and the preoccupation surfaces in many other places, including in the context of Plato's famous dismissal of artists from the ideal Republic (see mimesis). Aristotle's discussion in the Poetics centres on the nature of tragedy, and engendered the idea of catharsis, or the purging of emotion as the deep effect of witnessing tragic drama. In the modern period aesthetics emerged as a separate topic in the work of Baumgarten, Lessing, Hutcheson, Hume, and especially Kant. In the Critique of Judgement Kant addresses the question of how judgements of beauty are possible, when they are incapable of proof or of any reduction to rule, and are so intimately concerned to express the pleasure of the subject. His solution lies in the consciousness of the harmony of understanding and imagination, and, since this harmony can be felt by any rational being, judgements of taste can be demanded of others. They thereby achieve their necessary objectivity.

http://www.answers.com/topic/aesthetics

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

A relevant or irrelevant self-expression that has a profound effect on the creator or observer. I'm sure there are examples that don't comply to the statement...but I think this is a good, all-around explanation.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Art is the intentional and objective manifestation of the artist's internal subjective condition.

• 1 decade ago

What is love? Oh baby, don't hurt me. Don't hurt me no more.

Just kidding.

Art is inner expression.

Art is non-verbal communication.

Art is another degree besides philosophy you can get that will also guarantee a career as waiter.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

art is a reflection of reality filtered thru the viewpoint of the artist.

• 1 decade ago

art is a way of visually expressing an idea or concept.

• 1 decade ago

to put it simple.. art is expressing spirit creatively in in reality, wither drawing, potting, sculpturing, or even designing.. :)

Source(s): (personal opinion) PS: I don't like terms people don't understand ^_^ better give a simple clear to get best answers :) hope this one is mine xD
  • 1 decade ago

subjective

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.