Salling car with out Title being on you name?

I bought car from online auction called Ride Safely, auction stated that car runs and drives I paid

with transport around$4000. When I got car two days later engine blow big hole on side and I needed new engine. After visiting couple shops I find out that it will cost another $4000 just to fix this car, so I put it on e-bay and soled it for $1600

but that is not my real problem, real problem comes now. Three month later buyer that I sold car to is calling me and saying

he fixed the car but can’t register, because title is not on my name, in state that I live in NY you have to register car to get title

I never register car and title is still in ride safely name, I do have bill of sale from them that I purchased car from them.

To be even worst I sold the car in different state, so now I don’t know what to do.

Favorite Answer

You're going to have to slow down, unwind the process, and walk through it in a logical fashion to completion as if you didn't take any shortcuts. To make this "come out right" for you an everyone involved, it may take the cooperation of the other parties and you may have to be willing to accept that certain steps that need to be "undone" might mean the can't be "redone".

First and foremost, contact the parties involved directly an maintain communication. It's the only way you'll get their willing cooperation.

What you did was called "title jumping", and it's illegal. You first need to title the vehicle in your state. You will also have to pay any sales taxes due. You may also need to register the vehicle which, unless you live in Wisconsin or New Hampshire, is going to require you to insure the vehicle first. This is the only way you can be in full compliance in terms of ownership and taxes (unless you are a registered business owner with a resale permit that would allow you to purchase the vehicle for resale without paying sales tax; but then you may need to COLLECT sales tax on the sale, so it's a whole nightmare of its own if you're not already established in that manner.

Once you receive the vehicle title in your name, you can then endorse the title and proffer a bill of sale to your eBay buyer. In the meantime, you're going to need to get the title back, something the buyer may be reluctant to do without first receiving a refund. (If the buyer chooses to dispute the transaction, he'll win anyway, so you might as well proceed in good faith. After all, it's the buyer who's being inconvenienced most; and you're responsible for that). If possible, the best way would be for you and the buyer to do this together; but if he lives in another state and has better things to do with his time, you may be on your own an at his mercy. But if you sell on eBay in any sort of volume at all, anything you can do to avoid negative feedback is a good investment.

If the buyer demands a refund, you may have to simply accept that he may ultimately choose to "walk away". In this case, you'd have to retrieve the vehicle and sell it all over again; but at least you'd have the title an be in a clear legal position to sell the vehicle. On the other hand, if you're able to make all this happen within a day and without costing the buyer any additional money, there's no reason to believe that the buyer won't want to keep the vehicle he bought. After all, he bought it for a reason.

While there are some very definite "whats" you need to do to be in compliance with the law, it's likely to be the "hows" that make the difference in determining what the outcome will be. Nevertheless, you won't be able to avoid paying any sales taxes, title fees, and even perhaps registration and insurance if they're required. They do things that way for a reason.

Best of luck. I hope this helps.

I don't see the way it issues whose title is at the identify, actually why cannot each their names be at the identify. The title at the identify does no longer have some thing to do as to how well or dangerous the driving force is, the title at the identify simply designate who can promote or eliminate the automobile legally.