Are HeLa cells the only immortal cells in existence?

Are henrietta lacks the only human cells that can be replicated forevor? or are there other cases of this?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

no they are not.

most bacteria are immortal. cells that produce sperm and egg cells seem to be immortal. i am not sure but i think that many cancerous cells are immortal.

aging comes from telomeres at the end of chromosomes. these telomeres are like caps and prevent the ends of chromosomes sticking to each other. when cells divide, the telomere shortens and when it is gone, the cells die.

bacteria are immortal because they dont have telomeres, and their DNA forms a circle (although very ragged. i really mean its a closed loop).

you have a gene that produces an enzyme that regrows these telomeres, which is switched off, buy it is turned on in cancerous cells so they are immortal.

i have no clue why the cells that produce gametes are immortal. maybe i am wrong there.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Bob D1
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Nearly every type of cancer cell (over 200 different types) has the potential to become immortal. There are many cell lines of cancer cells use in research.

See: Science News

http://esciencenews.com/dictionary/types.of.cancer...

Source(s): self
  • 4 years ago

Yes. Eric Cartman pronounces people to be such.

• trudi
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

I do not think that is accurate

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.