Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Paul claimed that one was saved by faith without works?

Paul made the statement:

Gal 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

However Jesus said regarding the Law:

Mat 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

Mat 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Jesus believed that faith involved works. However Paul believed faith didn't involve works. Why do Christians continue to follow Paul. Who contradicted the words of Jesus involving the Law?

Ethan Rae - I don't have a got damn thing mistaken. Is not commandments "WORKS". Please use your head dumb Christian.

Royal Racer, That has absolutely nothing to do with what Paul said.

• Rene
    Favorite Answer

The good thing the man must do is show his fidelity toward God's covenant by obeying his laws. These laws were part of first-century Jewish culture, and the young man is convinced that he has kept them, as many of us have avoided breaking the laws of our society (compare Odeberg 1964:60). But if he is really ready to submit to the yoke of God's kingdom, he must also become a follower of Jesus and submit to Jesus' demands. That he is unwilling to spare all his goods to help the poor will soon bring into question whether he really loves his neighbor as himself (vv. 19-22).

Keeping the commandments will NOT get you saved. If you know them you'd know they are impossible to keep. Jesus was teaching what you need to do to be obedient.

If people allowed the bible to interpret itself, it would be understood much better. This question is one that has been debated endlessly. The truth of the matter is Jesus demonstrated that having faith in Him was a condition of the heart that motivated a person to reflect those Christian qualities. Paul merely cemented this by explaining it a bit more in his letter to Rome and Galatia. James was basically reiterating what Paul had already said but from the other side of faith. The one that makes a person reflect Christian qualities. These qualities can only emanate from the heart. Simply speaking, when you repent and accept the sacrifice of the Christ, you are compelled to live a Christian life and all it entails. Any religion or denomination that makes you work for your salvation is full of it as they want to be masters over your faith and the bible condemns this. How can I prove what I just wrote? When people would come out in droves to listen to Jesus speak, once he was finished speaking, if they repented and accepted him as their savior they would be baptized on the spot right then and there. There was no waiting period where a person would need to demonstrate a set of works. The same could be said when Paul was baptizing people. There was no set period of waiting until faith was proven. No! They believed, yes believed in their heart, and were baptized period end of story. Anyone who would try and feign sincerity in Jesus would be sniffed out by the Christ as he had this ability. Be slaves of the Christ not men and you will truly live a satisfying life in God's eyes.

Paul was talking about the laws the Jews had to keep. He knew when Jesus died the law covenant

was no longer in force. Paul was saying that those who put faith in Jesus didn't have to do the works of the law covenant to please God. Examples:sacrificed animals on the altar. and circumcision.

These scriptures will explain.

Jeremiah 31:31-34, Colossians 2:14, And Acts 15:6-29

When you start by faith in Christ, works is the outcome of that faith !!! Faith first and then works comes by the joy of serving one who gave so much of Himself for you !!! Not because you have to but because you want to !!!

Jesus claimed to be God - John 8:24; 8:56-59 (see Exodus 3:14); John 10:30-33

Jesus is called God - John 1:1,14; 20:28; Col. 2:9; Titus 2:13; Heb. 1:8

Jesus is the image of the invisible God - Heb. 1:3

Jesus abides forever - Heb. 7:24

Jesus created all things - John 1:1-3; Col. 1:15-17

Jesus is before all things - John 1:1-3; Col. 1:17;

Jesus is eternal - John 1:1,14; 8:58; Micah 5:1-2

Jesus is honored the same as the Father - John 5:23

Jesus is prayed to - Acts 7:55-60; 1 Cor. 1:2 with Psalm 116:4; (John 14:14)

Jesus is worshipped - Matt. 2:2,11; 14:33; John 9:35-38; Heb. 1:6

Jesus is omnipresent - Matt. 18:20; 28:20

Jesus is with us always - Matt. 28:20

Jesus is our only mediator between God and ourselves - 1 Tim. 2:5

Jesus is the guarantee of a better covenant - Heb. 7:22; 8:6

Jesus said, "I AM the Bread of Life" - John 6:35,41,48,51

Jesus said, "I AM the Door" - John 10:7,9

Jesus said, "I AM the Good Shepherd" - John 10:11,14

Jesus said, "I AM the Way the Truth and The Life" - John 14:6

Jesus said, "I AM the Light of the world" - John 8:12; 9:5; 12:46; Luke 2:32

Jesus said, "I AM the True Vine" - John 15:1,5

Jesus said, "I AM the Resurrection and the Life" - John 11:25

Jesus said, "I AM the First and the Last" - Rev. 1:17; 2:8; 22:13

Jesus always lives to make intercession for us - Heb. 7:25

Jesus cleanses from sin - 1 John 1:9

Jesus cleanses us from our sins by His blood - Rev. 1:5; Rom. 5:9

Jesus forgives sins - Matt. 9:1-7; Luke 5:20; 7:48

Jesus saves forever - Matt. 18:11; John 10:28; Heb. 7:25

Please pray a sincere prayer with all of your heart admitting to Jesus you are a sinner. Have full faith that His blood pays off all of your sins and accept His gift of everlasting life.

I think that you need to be careful when you say that Paul believed that faith didn't involve works. Paul believed that you could not earn your salvation through works, but if you truly believe in Jesus, then you will be motivated to follow his Word by the things that you do. Afterall, Paul also says that faith without works is dead. The two go hand in hand.

I don't think Paul contradicted...

Romans 3

31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

I think the main point he is trying to get across is... Man is not justified by the law of Moses—He is justified through righteousness which is by faith in Christ, made possible through his atoning sacrifice.

James 2:14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, 16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit? 17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. 18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works. 19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. It would help if you used the bible and not a perversion of it. The two statements don't contradict one another. James is not contradicting Paul. He isn't saying that you are saved by faith and works. He is saying that if you have works then it shows that you have the faith which alone can save you. It's a matter of perspective. If you aren't truly born again then you see loop holes in the doctrine of salvation and stay in an unrepentant state. If you are born again you know that the love of God is manifested in your life by good works.

Rome needed to separate itself from Judaism. To be little the importance Jewish law and gut it of meaning was a way to do this. The writings of Paul in fact have three writers. Read (Bart Erhman). Rome created two of them.

James the most Jewish of them said "Faith without works is dead". Enough said. Faith without works is useless. James said so. Jesus said so.

In Pauline literature, His use of faith includes works of obedience. In Galatians 2, Paul is declaring that meritorious works of the old law do not justify.

• Faith in this Dispensation, works during the Millennium.

Faith because we cant see God but have faith in Him.

Works in the Millennium because ALL will see God and faith is not needed anymore but works is.