Why do collection agencies refuse something in writing to fix credit report?

Hi. I am coming to settlement terms with a collection agency. I made an offer with the stipulation that I MUST have something in writing before I pay them a penny which states they will delete the entire history of their entry. The lady told me I'd have to take her word for it. I was like BS! I need that... show more Hi. I am coming to settlement terms with a collection agency. I made an offer with the stipulation that I MUST have something in writing before I pay them a penny which states they will delete the entire history of their entry. The lady told me I'd have to take her word for it. I was like BS! I need that in writing. So here's my question...

WHY o WHY if a collection agency agrees on a settlement amount do they not want to provide you a letter which states they'll remove the collection from your report upon payment? They say they can do it, but won't put it into writing. Why? It would seem like a small request after settling. What do they have to gain by not removing it? Unless they intend to use that as a way to collect the rest down the line. Is that it??