? asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 10 years ago

Which historical/fantasy novels are similar to George R R Martin's ASOIAF?

It has to be in a historical setting, preferably the Middle Ages, or at least ancient Rome or Byzantium. I'm looking for something realistic (fantasy elements excluded) and graphic, with (dark) humour being a big plus. And I really don't like those good vs evil plots, so probably it will be easier to think of a recommendation among historical novels - Martin's novels are the only fantasy novels i like apart G G Kay's.

Thanks in advance. :)

Favorite Answer

Martin is certainly my favorite fantasy author, and it's difficult to find good fantasy once you've read his stuff. There are a few others I'd recommend based on what I've read or others' suggestions to me.

- Steven Erikson's "Malazan Book of the Fallen Series" (first book is "Gardens of the Moon')

- Patrick Rothfuss' novel "The Name of the Wind"

- David Anthony Durham's "Acacia" series (first book is Acacia: "The War with the Mein"

- Robin Hobb's "Farseer Trilogy" (first book is "Assassin's Apprentice")

Hope that gives you a good starting point!

Steven

http://steventill.com