Deb Collectors question?

I just got a call from a debt collector. Says I owe Fire Dept $967 for an ambulance ride in 2007. In 2007 I had health insurance.

I was involved in car accident (I was a passenger) and my insurance company paid the bills, then got reimbursed from the responsible party (other driver).

The insurance company says the Fire Department never submitted a bill for the ambulance service, and therefore it never got paid. The insurance company will no longer pay it because it's from 2007.

What do I do? Do I have to pay this even though I was not responsible for the debt? The insurance company was supposed to pay it (and would have if they had submitted a bill) and then the responsible party would have reimbursed them, but the fire department never billed anyone for this and now it is on my name.

My bad on the typo, it should read "Debt collectors question"

Favorite Answer

You took the ride and you are ultimately responsible for the ambulance charges. You also should have followed up 2 years ago to make sure everything got paid. Ambulance rides aren't free.

You will certainly need to stand up for yourself in this instance, investigate this matter as much as you can. Talk with the Fire department, they should have billing records as to when the first bill was sent out. Ambulance charges should be covered by the Automobile Liability insurance under Medical Payments Coverage, this bill should be directed at the person who was at fault, and their Auto Insurance coverage. You will likely have to go to small claims court for this, as it truly looks as if the parties are passing the buck for whom is liable for these charges. I recommend speaking with a lawyer if you have one that you can trust.

Seems to me it is up to the Fire Department to collect from your insurance company somehow. It has nothing to do with YOU that they submitted the bill too late to get paid.

They might just be trying you on for size (with the debt collector) to see if you will cave in and pay it. That said, you might have to fight it in small claims...

Welcome to one of the fastest growing frauds in the US - zombie debt. The insurance company will not pay, probably because your state has the typical two year statute of limitations for civil claims. The debt collector has bought the debt from the original provider for pennies on the dollar and is hoping to get you to pay - whether or not they have a legally valid claim. Your state attorney general office can tell you the statute of limitations for civil claims where you live - I bet it has expired, meaning they have no legal claim.

Source(s): Google "zombie debt" and look through the selection of links... been approached several times, including with a phony law office stationary and scary threats.