Is anyone using the MiniMed Paradigm Insulin Pump and the Continuous Glucose Monitoring System?

I've had type 1 Diabetes for 43 years and have been researching the MiniMed Paradigm REAL-Time System Insulin Pump with the REAL-Time continuous glucose monitoring system. I am presently on Lantus pens daily with Humalog pen insulin taken before meals.

After reading the materials they sent me, I would like to hear from someone who is actually using these two systems together to see how they like it. The company, Medtronic, makes it sound like the best thing next to having a new pancreas, but I'm wondering if it's as wonderful as they make it sound.

Any information would help! Pros and cons! Thanks!

• A Bean
    Best Answer

I use the Medtronic Paradigm and CGMS and I love what it has done for me. I've had type 1 since 1971 and I am at the point where I very rarely feel my lows. The CGMS has helped me with my lows and especially my night time lows. My endo has it set to alarm when I go below 85. It has been a wonder knowing that I'm not going so low I need a glucagon injection.

I do not like how bulky the system is but I have gotten used to it now. Just like getting used to wearing a pump. My first few yrs on a pump were difficult especially with wearing dresses. Medtronic and internet companies make different carriers to hide the pump in many different locations on the body. I have several carriers and I no longer dread wearing a dress.

Blood sugar control has been so much easier with the CGMS. Of course the CGMS is not the same as blood testing but it is pretty close. Usually my blood sugars are only a few points off from what the CGMS tells me. I love the graphs too. It's so nice to see my peaks and lows for the last few days. It's also nice to know when I'm dropping too fast and getting too high. It really has been life changing.

Yes it would be so nice to get a real pancreas that works properly but since I know that to get one I'd have to be in sad shape I'm content dealing with a pump and CGMS. A little bulkiness as opposed to a life time of anti rejection meds is better for me. It really has changed my life. I used to have to eat before bed every night to avoid lows and now I don't.

Source(s): Type 1 for 39 yrs, pumper.

1

Source(s): Secret To Destroy Diabetes : http://DiabetesCure.raiwi.com/?JpRW

2

Source(s): Two Weeks Diabetes Cure : http://DiabetesGoFar.com/?YKDF

I no longer use the Paradigm CGMS (Continuous Glucose Monitoring System) sweetheart ... and I offer that as a general term of endearment. It is NOT intended to be offensive, obnoxious, condescending, or sexist ... though, I must admit, I have yet to use it to an adult male, apart from my own two grown up sons and one of their friends who I've unofficially 'adopted' ... but I thought it might give you a bit of insight if I offered my experience of having used it.

I do still use the Medtronic MiniMed Paradigm 722 pump but have given up ... maybe temporarily ... on using the CGMS. Sadly, because of complications of diabetes, one of which is hypoglycaemia unawareness, I no longer sense when I'm approaching, or having, an hypoglycaemic attack. The first I usually know about it is after someone has given me a glucagon injection, and I'm on my way back round.

My endocrinologist felt that the CGMS would be the best way for us to deal with the 'problem(s)' that I was experiencing. Unfortunately, this proved to not be the case. By the time the alarm went off, indicating that my blood sugar level had fallen to the stage where I was hypoglycaemic, it was too late. I was already unconscious. This was even after setting the pump to alarm when my blood sugar level had fallen to 6.5 mmol/l.

The explanation from Medtronic representatives, that I had several meetings with, was that due to the fact that the sensor is taking readings from the interstitial fluid in your body, the REAL-Time wasn't actually reading what my venous blood was. There's a small time delay of perhaps 15-30 minutes. Sadly, that wasn't quick enough for me. (I was diagnosed with 'brittle' diabetes almost 30 years ago ... a time when being brittle meant more than having blood sugars that were out of control ... as it seems to indicate these days.)

Of course, my experience is NOT the same as other people's. I've spoken to a number of diabetes patients at our local Diabetes Centre who are more than happy with the results they've been getting, though not all of them have continued using the CGMS. In some of the cases, patients seem to have derived at least some benefit from using it.

Earlier I stated that this might be a temporary situation for myself. Medtronic now have the Paradigm Veo system which, apparently, once detecting that blood sugar levels have reached the state of hypoglycaemia, will suspend the infusion of insulin. That would, obviously, benefit myself, but I don't know you, or your diabetes control, so you may not need for that to happen.

What I can say about using the Medtronic MiniMed Paradigm pump is that it's been more than simply an advantage to my diabetes control. It's been a God/dess send. Prior to using a pump, I was regularly taking 7 or 8 insulin injections a day of Humalog, purposely to bring my blood sugar levels down to a near 'normal' blood sugar level. Even then, I was spending almost as much time in hospital as I was at home, with regular bouts of DKA and severe hypoglycaemia. (I class it as 'severe' when I lose consciousness, though there have been times when I have 'fitted' also.)

One brilliant thing about the company Medtronic is that their support is second to none. When I've needed a replacement pump, it's been with me within a couple of days ... the same with supplies (set changes, reservoirs, batteries, etc.)

I must admit that I was a little surprised when I clicked on the Medtronic.com website that they have no record of the Paradigm Veo system. You can, however, see it if you click on the second url below. (Although the pump looks just the same, there must be an update to the software, at least.)

I'm presuming that you're either in the UK or Ireland, seeing as this is where your question was asked, though this, of course, may not be the case. If you're in a different country, where you have to purchase your pump yourself, or get it through insurance, there's an offer until April 2010 for their Guardian REAL-Time Continuous Glucose Monitor.

Something that MAY appeal to you is that you wouldn't be having multiple daily injections. Using a pump is like having one injection every 3 or 4 days though you would, of course, especially in the early days, need to test your blood sugar level more frequently. This is down to the fact that a pump only uses fast-acting insulin, so there's an increased risk that you could suffer hypoglycaemia.

I apologise for the length of this response, but if there's anything I've missed that you'd like to know about, please do contact me and I'll let you know what I can. (Click on my avatar/photograph and send me an email.)

Be well, dear lady.

I use both and would never want to be without again. It may not be exactly what you are thinking. It really helps you know where you levels are heading. For example it displays a 3 hour and 24 hour graph on your pump screen with every reading accessable. Alarms when going high too fast and vice versa. It measures the glucose in the fat tissue and not the blood stream so it lags behind your actual reading by 20-30 mins maybe. Well worth it.

Read my story on how I reversed all my complications at

www.ReverseDiabeticComplications.com

Diabetes might be helped easily by taking on a handful of change in lifestyle. Learn here https://tr.im/qpOVM

The diet plan really should be made up of plenty of fiber and also wholesome foods. Eat four to 6 meals/snacks spread equally throughout a day. Commence doing exercises routinely. Supplements could help too. Flax oil, daily multivitamin, bitter melon, garlic, onion, and stevia might help.

No. I want it but my insurance won't cover the continuous glucose monitoring system. :-(