me asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 10 years ago

Do you believe that the Olympics committee is justified in not allowing women to participate in certain events?

because they say it is too dangerous?

• ?
    Best Answer

What events would they be?

Even sports like boxing and weightlifting now have women's competitions in the Olympics.

I am not aware they banned women because it is too dangerous.

The olympics committee views women events and men events as 2 different events. If mens football meets the requirements to be included in the olympics it does not automatically qualify womens soccer. Thats why there are some events which are male or female only.

the only event in the olympics that women aren't allowed to participate in, is the ski jump. There does not appear to be any justifyable reason as to why women aren't allowed to compete in this sport and there has been lots of uproar about it. Apparently there is questionable evidence that although all people who participate in this sport have knee damage, women's knees seem to get slightly more damaged in general than men's knees. Personally I think that when the IOC (International Olympic Comittee) decides what sports are allowed to participate in the olympic games, that both male and female teams should be allowed in. It's the 21st century and there is no reason that women should not be allowed in an olympic game. These women athletes know the health risks of thier sport and are fully capeable of making an informed decision of their own. These women don't need the IOC telling them that they cannot compete in the olympics 'for their own good'.

• RoVale

I think women should be allowed to participate in ski jumping just like men should be allowed to participate in synchronized swimming in the summer games. I can't think of a single good reason why men can't participate in that form of swimming. Yes, I know it is a showy sport but so is figure skating.

If the IOC is going to forbid a female event, it should be because there aren't enough competitors, not for safety reasons. Female and male Olympic athletes know what they're doing a hell of a lot better than the IOC does.

Well, women normally have seperate sporting events to men's, don't they? I don't see why they shouldn't do the same sports as men do, so long as they are competing against each other and not against men, which would be a waste of time. I can't think of any sport that is likely to be more dangerous for a woman than for a man, so long as they are not competing against men.

It's too dangerous? So it's okay for men to die or get hurt, but not women? Or women are too weak and incapable of doing these things? That's just sexist towards everyone. And no, its not justified.

I think women oughta be able to go ski jumping. I don't understand why not. Sure you have to be crazy to do it but some chicks actually think like a man anyway (ie Eloka D) so why not let them launch themselves off a sheet of ice for their country?

Also, I don't see why they have to play softball instead of baseball but that's not a big deal at least they can play something like that.

But here's where I get sexist. They should not play American football. Not an Olympic sport, but definitely a man's game.

• I don't know the events you mean, since I don't follow the Olympics much, but on principle I would normally respond by saying: "Only if they don't qualify for the event alongside everyone else".

To dangerous for women and not men? Maybe it would be if it might cause harm to a woman's reproductory system or something. But is there even such a sport?