snake11 asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Question about german shepherd dogs?

I am getting a german shepherd dog. I guess german shepherds prefer to be outside more often than inside. Please answer my questions;

1.) I'm getting him at 8weeks old. I am purchasing a large dog house from wal-mart, more or less like a shed, but this is a large house for a dog. I'm placing this in my backyard. Is that a good idea? Yes or no, and any suggestions highly recommended. I will place him in the dog house to sleep.

2.) I have a huge backward, probably half the size of a foot ball field. I do have neighbors. However, when my dog gets older, I will do more advanced things with him --ball, frisbee, etc. This is a 2 part question. The 1st part of my question is this: What is the chance of my GSD running away from me while playing in my backyard OFF the leash?

The second part of my qusetion: Can I keep my GSD on a very long leash, and I mean an extremely long leash while I play frisbee with him? My only concern is this: Could the dog hurt himself if he was running around while on the leash not realizing that the leash is about to pull back because he is going too far?

3.) People at a nearby complex play with their dog on the apartment's lawn. Their dogs NEVER run into the street and they are playing frisbee with them. If those dogs are good to stay on the apartment lawn, my GSD would be smart to stay with me on my lawn and play with me right?

IF WORST COMES TO WORST, I have an enclosed fench area that I could play with him in. The cost is $6 per day. I don't mind the fee.

4.) How often should I excersie him? Running, playing ball, etc., etc.

becca-- the only reason why i said GSD prefer to be outside as opposed to inside is because a company had an article on the internet stating if you keep them inside they could be inactive dogs... they prefer to be outside. That's according to the article.

Favorite Answer

You guess WRONG (and punctuate wrongly) with your "I guess german shepherds prefer to be outside more often than inside." Assuming that the pet LIKES you, the side of a closed door a cat or dog prefers is always the side it ISN''T on - it can't tell what's happening on the other side. But I leave the back door open full time (unless a gale slams it). and whichever GSD is having its turn inside PREFERS to be where I am.

DON'T believe much of what is in .com sites - any idiot can write things in those, and idiots DO!

An intelligent dog NEEDS to be with its human so it can learn the meanings of the strange signals & noises the human makes. An intelligent human NEEDS the dog with him/her so that the human can learn the pup's timing & signals for such as "Wanna go toilet" and "Wanna BITE something" and take immediate appropriate action.

Q1. 8 weeks is good. So far the dog house idea IS N'T - you don't mention anything about a roofed security run at least 12 feet long between gate and raised sleeping box.

Q2. Yard size isn't important - what matters is whether the gate & fencing can not only keep your pet home, but can also keep stray dogs and stray brats OUT.

I don't know how nice you'll be, so can't tell how often a pup will run away, but pups love "Catch me if you can!" games - especially when they are winning!

Forget the frisbee; too risky for the dog - ACL tears, impaling. And a long leash is for use when tracking, not for games or walks. FENCE your yard first.

Q3."smart to stay with me on my lawn right? " WRONG - your neighbours are idiots, playing Russian Roulette with their dog's life. FENCE your yard first.

Q4. From 8 weeks until 2 weeks after the first vaccinations he goes NOWHERE outside your securely fenced area. From then until 2 weeks after the boosters given at 16 weeks he goes NOWHERE where dogs run loose or piddle-poo. Pups exercise themselves every moment they're awake (unless locked in a crate - that use of crates is BAD), then sleep until they have rebuilt their energy. The walks from 10 weeks onwards are NOT for exercise, they are for experience of exploring their environment at the end of a 2-3m/6-10ft leash. Play at home is essential - especially rewarding a pup for bringing things to you after carrying them in its mouth. All part of convincing it that the world is a safe,interesting place and you are the centre of everything good in it.

Your questions and comments make me VERY doubtful that you are suitable to own one of my GSDs - or any dog.

Go attend some training club classes and learn what dogs are REALLY like at various ages and after various amounts of training - it saddens me that you asked NOTHING about:

(1) any kind of training.

(2) how to decide which (if any) pup is right for a newbie - you seem to think that dogs are electronic toys that you can switch off & on, and steer with a joystick.

You aren't seeking an intelligent dog such as a GSD - you are seeking an unfortunate "dope on a rope". It is those "dopes on ropes" that bite brats (especially on unfenced sections!), because when the pooch reaches the end of its tether (have you not heard that expression and thought about its origins?) it cannot use the "flight" part of the canine "flight or fight" response, so has no choice but to fight its tormentor.

And just how long each day is the pup going to be left by itself? I require buyers to take at least a week at home 24/7, starting the minute they get their pup - a fortnight is better. And to participate in a weekly training-club class from when Pup reaches 18-22 weeks old.

• Add http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/The_GSD_Source to your browser's Bookmarks or Favorites so that you can easily look up such as feeding, vaccinations, clubs, weights, teething, neutering, disorders, genetics.

• To ask about GSDs, join some of the 400+ YahooGroups dedicated to various aspects of living with GSDs. Each group's Home page tells you which aspects they like to discuss, and how active they are. Unlike YA, they are set up so that you can have an ongoing discussion with follow-up questions for clarification. Most allow you to include photos.

Les P, owner of GSD_Friendly: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/GSD_Friendly

"In GSDs" as of 1967

Such a sad state of affairs. I see loads of GSDs where I live. Those I've seen that are not with the police are, without exception, pitiful. Take a look at those GSD's that actually work. Do they have ski-slope backs? Do they walk on their hocks? Personally, I don't see the breed standard as the be-all-and-end-all of responsible breeding (a stance for which I'm sure to earn more than a few TDs!!). Some of the very best working dogs would be laughed out of the show ring (if they were even allowed to compete in the first place). I can't think for a minute that such a sloped back would help them perform any function. I'd ask why you were so set on the GSD. A well-bred GSD is an exceptional working dog, but too much for most people (myself very much included) to handle as a pet. The alternatives are show-bred, BYB bred or puppy farm bred. OR, another breed. There's hundreds of breeds out there that haven't been so comprehensively ruined.

GSDs are sturdy dogs that don't mind being outside for a few hours when they are older, but at such a young age they should be inside with the family and never should they be left outside alone more than they are inside with the family! GSDs are very intelligent, so with a little training you should be able to keep him on the lawn, but I would suggest building a fence, or fence of an area where he can be. They are active dogs, that need about one long walk a day, and two short ones. One in the morning and one at night. And they are always up for playing.

Do not keep him outside all day or let him sleep outside. This causes aggression in dogs. DO NOT DO THIS! Most dogs prefer to be inside with their families, actually, but it would be a good idea to let him be outside for an hour or so every day and the dog house might be a good place for him to rest, but if your yard is not fenced in, I don't suggest letting him stay out there without supervision, even if he has a leash. What if someone were to steal him? A long leash is not a bad idea if it's only for a little while every day. Maybe an hour. It'll give him a chance to get his energy out without you having to worry to much about him. Also, I would suggest taking him to an obedience class and/or a dog park because it will socialize him with other dogs at a young age and an obedience class will help you train him (besides, he will have fun.)

Source(s): My cousins owned a German Shepherd and I volunteer at A Forever Home Rescue Foundation, which is an animal rescue group in Northern Virginia.

German Shepherds (and any other dog) will do just fine inside the house as opposed to being outside all of the time. They are very intelligent and loyal, but they needs lots of exercise (even as a puppy) and training, even though they are easier to train than other dogs. As for the leash, I think it would be okay for him as long as it is only when you are outside with him, but instead of a regular chain, get a dog run that hangs from above so he wont trip over it while playing.

I would not recommend keeping him chained up all day. Dogs need a lot of attention from their owners. Even though he might not run off on you off leash, I would recommend checking the leash laws in your area first to make sure it is legal to have him off leash. If so, teach him to stay by your side or come when called. Even very well trained dogs can get distracted and run off, so just be careful with that.

If you are able to use the enclosed area, I think that would be great, but you said that was a last resort.

German Shepherds need a lot of exercise, which can be gained from several long walks daily, jogging, fetch, agility, training (tricks), etc.

So my general recommendations are to keep him inside your own house (including at night), exercise the dog a lot, and be careful if letting him off leash.

Source(s): 3 german shep mixes

1.) The dog house is a good idea, but don't make him sleep in their too much. It's true that large dogs like to be outside more than small dogs, but they still like being indoors, too.

2. (first part) If the yard if fenced in then I wouldn't worry, but if it's not fenced in or if the fence has a hole or holes in it, I suggest you keep your dog on a leash until it's properly trained not to run away.

2. (second part) If the dog is yanked back, it probably won't be too hard. Just a firm tug to pull him back.

3.) No. Not until it's trained. And I don't actually suggest letting your dog run around off a leash unless it's in a dog park, especially a large dog that could scare a kid, just running around.

4.) You need to exercise your dog everyday. Even if it's just a short game of catch or tug-of-war.

You are incorrect. German shepherds are very social dogs and NEED to be around their owners. No dog prefers to be outside. Never tether or tie a dog up that causes aggression. Keep it as an inside dog and take it for walks everyday. As for frisbee you can do that at any dog park.

im no dog trainer but ive had alot of dogs i always keep my pups indoors not only to house break them and teach them manners but to bond with the dog. trust me if you bond with that dog yoy will never have to put him on a leash. if at all possible take her with u everywhere u go. in the car riding bike or jogging or just sitting outside or kicking back on the couch keep that dog with u and u can play frisbee or ball with her all day and she will never leave u

Source(s): lots of dogs
  • brenda

Start checking around for beginner's obedience training classes. (Not sure where you live). I would start by calling a reputable pet store. Secondly, an eight week old pup is TOO YOUNG to be kept outdoors. (You can always crate train). BEFORE your new pup arrives, get your hands on all sorts of reading material so you will BE READY for this life-long commitment. Good luck! :}

i have a german sheperd n he loves the outdoors. He basically lives outdoors. German sherperds r loyal so i dont think that he /she will run away from u. They need regular exercise everyday atleast for an hour. Need love n they love to be told what do. They are very obidient