Why is San Francisco so provincial?

It's an attractive city, but the people are so provincial with their attitudes, cliques, politics and smugness. It feels like a hick town.

Update:

It's funny how San Franciscans like to bring up LA every time someone criticizes their city. LA sucks, but SF seems to have this inferiority complex to big cities.

Update 2:

It's funny how San Franciscans like to bring up LA every time someone criticizes their city. LA sucks too, but SF seems to have this inferiority complex to big cities.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

And LA isn't?

I have yet to go to ANY city where the people did not feel that their town was the best, regardless of what the town actually was.

• Kini
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I am amazed at your insight. People used to say those things 50 years ago and I thought it must have changed. It is not an inferiority complex as native San Franciscans truly have contempt for Southern Cal and Hollywood. S.F. is a small town mentality with the appearance of sophistication and more like Boston than Los Angeles.

• 1 decade ago

Obviously you've never been to SF. What you're referring to is a stereotype. People here are generally laid-back, easy-going people. The only stereotype that is true of SF is that it likes to keep the environment clean, and be a green city.

What attitudes? cliques? smugness?

• 1 decade ago

Perhaps you haven't spent much time here.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

what city isnt like that?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.