Do you believe this border agent did not know it was illegal to marry a illegal claims allowed under agency?

A Customs and Border Protection Officer at JFK Airport, fired for a prohibited association with an illegal alien, could not convince the appeals court to reinstate her. (Olmos v. Department of Homeland Security, C.A.F.C. No. 2010-3009 (nonprecedential), 2/4/10)

Ms. Olmos worked 15 years as an Immigration Inspector when her job was transferred to the new Department of Homeland Security in 2003. The new department had a provision in its standards of conduct that prohibited employees from associating "with individuals or groups who are believed or known to be connected with criminal activities. This limitation on association covers any social, sexual, financial, or business relationship with…a suspected or known criminal, or an illegal alien, subject to being removed from the United States of America." (Opinion, p. 2)

Just in case this provision was not entirely clear, the agency held a "muster" on the rules in mid 2005 at which Ms. Olmos was present. (p. 2)

Olmos began dating Rafael Vanegas only to learn in the fall of 2005 that he was an illegal alien. She married him anyway.

Vanegas returned to his native Colombia a year later to work on getting an immigrant visa. Olmos began submitting forms to her agency to get her new husband's immigration status changed. The agency put two and two together and eventually charged Olmos with "knowingly associating with an illegal alien," proposing her removal. The final agency decision took into account the relevant factors, including Olmos' years of service and her four prior suspensions for various infractions. The decision was removal.

Olmos appealed to the Merit Systems Protection Board. In her testimony, Olmos admitted that she knew Vanegas was an illegal alien before she married him and that her actions would cause her problems with the agency. She claimed that the union president and two CBP supervisors had told her that marrying such an individual was allowed under the agency rule. She also argued that other employees had married illegal aliens without being disciplined; however, she was unable to name names other than of people who had married aliens who were in the country legally. (pp. 2-3)http://www.fedsmith.com/article/2322/knowingly-ass...

Do you believe this border agent did not know it was illegal to marry a illegal claims allowed under agency rule ?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Fred S
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

According to a friend of mine at JFK, Olmos is a legacy INS inspector who knew what was going on. She was also a source of trouble, and no one misses her. Apparently, JFK is a better place to work without her.

Had she been a legacy Customs officer or a new CBP officer, it's almost possible to believe that she didn't know what was happening or the consequences of associating with an illegal alien, but a legacy INS officer would not have failed to find out a person's status before starting a relationship.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

You on the one hand say you have always been interested in border protection and keeping our country safe, yet you marry an illegal. How can you say you know what is right and what is wrong, but marry someone you know is doing something illegal? Can you see how this would look to someone going over your application? If you do, by some miracle, become a border patrol agent it would answer a lot of questions about how so many illegals slip into this country undetected.

• 1 decade ago

As "Ahmed" States-She`s not fit to be a "border guard" (i.e. to be employed by Homeland security) if for no other reason, then for her stupidity, of "not knowing her employers rules", and if she knew she was going against the employer`s rules (which I believe is truth., considering her other rules infractions.) then she is not fit for the job, because of that reason. I bet you she only got the job because she was Hispanic and because she speaks Spanish. I doubt she has any other qualifications for such a job...Good riddance,. Let her join others in unemployment line-since she don`t know how to value her employment.

• 1 decade ago

You are concern with a situation that is touchy, on one hand who gives who the right to tell others who they can't and can marry? Marriage is a bond between two people who are in love, now i do think that she knew and was full aware of what she was doing (to answer your question) it's ovbious but that still doesn't mean she shouldn't be allowed to marry that man if she truly loves him nor should she get punished for it by any means, now if she's doing it out of a deal struck up between the two than that's a different matter

Jorge

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Fantastic. These ones who marry these illegals should be charged, all of them! I am glad she was exposed and fired. She deserves everything she got. Wonder how many of this illegals family members this treasonous person allowed in.

• 1 decade ago

i don't believe that but she is stupid actually it was better for her to invite him to come for visit first with visa then send him back and invite him with new immigrant visa now it is all destroyed she doesn't deserve to be in boarder guard while she is even stupid also can not be trusted .

• 1 decade ago

she knew what she was doing was wrong.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

nope

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.