Beowulf VS. Modern Epic?

Does anyone know any modern epics?

Would batman/superman etc, be considered as a modern epic?

• Jallan
    Favorite Answer

I presume you mean epic story rather than epic poem. I am unaware of any long poems about Superman or Batman.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_%28story%29 for what Wikipedia says, which is really no more than big stories about obviously heroism are sometimes called epic. But I know of no successful attempts to define what is epic and what is not epic. The word tends to appears mostly in film publicity.

That said, works called epics like the Epic of Gilgamesh, the Iliad, the Odyssey, and the Aeneid tend be long tales largely about fighting and adventures, with little romance. They often would have derived from lesser tales which poets and story tellers would make up about popular heroes. Some inventions would stick in the audience’s memory and repetitions would be asked for. Others would be told a fiew times by the inventor and then be forgotten.

Superman and Batman, in the comics, are serial fictions about the same character, who never much ages or changes, once he becomes established. The story of the hero’s life is never ending. Even if they seem to die, someone later may bring them back, for example the Flash and Marvel Girl, or creates a new version of the character: Supergirl, Robin, Doom Patrol.

That said, superheroes do fulfil some of the same functions in modern society that characters like Achilles, Odysseus, and Diomedes or Gawain, Perceval, and Lancelot did in the societies that invented their tales. Some tales of them might be big enough to be considered epic. But the story continues and continues and continues and other stories of the hero saving the entire universe from some crises occur, until even that begins to seem trivial.

Beowulf, however, is supposedly an historical hero who eventually died, like everyone else.

Well that depends on what you think a superhero today is. If it's someone that can fly, is strong, brave, self-sacrificing, fast, bullet proof, or invincible, I would say you've just described the U.S. Marine Corp. Of course Marines aren't bullet proof or invincible, but you'll never kill us all. There's always another one to take our place, and each of us will fight as long as there is breath in our lungs. Odysseus is not a comic book superhero I grant you, but neither is a Marine. However he is the voice of reason between Agamemnon and Achilles and thus is the reason that the battle of Troy ends the way it does. As for his journey home, I remember getting bounced around the world too every return trip. It always seemed we took the direct rout there, and then the scenic rout home. Semper Fi Cpl USMC