What's your opinion on Tourette Syndrome?

Ever since I was about 8, I've had a bunch of different tics that have come and gone over the years, and although I don't have an official diagnosis (apparently that would cost money, which I don't have), a lot of doctors have said just based off observations that I most likely do have Tourette's.... show more Ever since I was about 8, I've had a bunch of different tics that have come and gone over the years, and although I don't have an official diagnosis (apparently that would cost money, which I don't have), a lot of doctors have said just based off observations that I most likely do have Tourette's. One thing that has been around since the beginning has been blinking a lot. My current tics are looking to the left, scrunching my face up sometimes, spitting to my left (not like loogies or anything lol just a very small amount), and the most annoying for me, my left hand spasming (to be specific, my left pinky and partially ring finger). My tics are on and off in that for a few hours I won't have any troubles but then for a few hours I'll be going crazy with my tics.

The thing is, people have told me that it's all in my head, and point out that I don't do them when I don't think about it. I'm not sure if this is true though, because I know for a fact I do it subconsciously a lot and won't even notice I'm "spazzing out" until someone points it out. However, there are times I'll suddenly notice I haven't had any tics in a while, and then suddenly they'll start up again. =( Something I've noticed is that when I'm feeling emotional about something, like I'm very happy or very sad or angry, or if I'm concentrating really hard on something, my tics become more apparent. Another thing is that I can refrain myself from doing them, but it's kind of like trying to hold my breath, and I can only do it for so long.

I'm not sure if there are any medications to help with Tourette Syndrome. Do you think TS is an actual disability, or is this all just in my head? If you think it's a psychological thing, do you think there would be a way to train someone to stop their tics?